TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

LG LCD Flat Panel TV powers on with no picture and no sound

{except static when I change...
LG LCD Flat Panel TV powers on with no picture and no sound {except static when I change the input to the antenna one}. The red light above the power button flashes then turns faintly blue. No menu is visible either. The power supply was replaced almost exactly a year ago, due to a lightning strike.
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/17/2013
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Hi! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)
-How old is the unit?
-If you push the MENU button on the tv itself, does the menu show up?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Model - 47LG50
We bought it February 2009

No, the menu still does not appear.

-If you look close at the screen in a dark room, do you see a slight glow to the screen?

No glow at all

There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this television other than unplugging it. It will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $175-$200 to fix the set.

Next could be the main/inverter board, this would not be good news because you could be looking at $200-$300 for the repair (I know this is up there in the price range and most likely getting over the cost of a new set)

either of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need any other information at all, if you do please use the reply to expert tab. If this was all the info you needed then please remember to rate me before leaving. Please do not hesitate to ask anything, happy to help in any way I can!

Thanks,
Tim

Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician