TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Samsung had 5 years have no picture, have sound if you turn

on the VCR the tv...
Samsung had 5 years have no picture, have sound if you turn on the VCR the tv also shuts off
8/3/2013
Nathan, Installer

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with the tv,

p0llinate :

unfortunately, we see this type of problem quite often, and it is almost always an internal hardware failure which requires repairs to correct.

p0llinate :

The symptoms that you are having with the sound staying on but picture going out, as well as the shutting down tend to indicate that one of the display components or power supply components are failing.

p0llinate :

The shut down is an indication of a short or fault that the set is detecting, and turning itself off to prevent further damage.

p0llinate :

This is something that we can troubleshoot and look into repair options. If you're looking to fix it yourself, you'd need to be experienced with electronics repair, have a multimeter, be able to solder, etc

p0llinate :

For this type of set, you can typically manage a do it yourself repair for $200 or less.

p0llinate :

Having a local shop do the repairs, you'd be looking at $300+ on average to change out the power or display drive components

p0llinate :

Because of the age and size of the set, most any of these costs quickly become unpractical, considering you can buy a new set in the $250 range, that is usually the smartest investment.

p0llinate :

If you think this is something you'd want to do yourself and want some help with finding parts, or if you want help finding a local shop, or a recommendation replacement, just let me know, and I'll guide you further.

p0llinate :

Hello

p0llinate :

Still with me?

HI Fred, sorry it seems the live chat was malfunctioning.

You can view my earlier notes above, and get back in touch with me here if you have any further questions, need help finding parts (inverter being the most likely failed component), or would like some help finding a replacement system.

Nathan, Installer
Nathan, Installer