TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

the red power light is flashing but the tv will not power

Customer Question
up...
the red power light is flashing but the tv will not power up
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/3/2013
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 4 years ago
Aric, Technician
Hello, My name is Aric and I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

How long have you had the set for, and when did the problem occur?
Was it after a storm or power outage?
Does the standby/timer light blink continuously, or in a pattern (such as 5 blinks, pause, 5 blinks, pause, etc.)?

Hello Aric

I have owned this TV for about 15 months.

I shut it off last night and tried to turn it on this afternoon.

It seems, I left the Video game on and plugged into the TV when I turn the TV off at the Power button last night.

The red light blinks for a slow pattern of 7 flashes then stops for a few seconds and then flashes again 7 times.

Thank you for the reply.

This blink code can mean a possibility of a few different failures in the TV.

Let's try a hard reset of the TV. Please disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself for 10 seconds. Release the button, then plug the TV back in and press power once. Let me know if you have the same problem.

I unplugged TV and Held power button for 10 seconds. I plugged TV to power and now the red power light will not flash at all and the TV does not power up at all.

Rick, the processor in the TV is acting up right now- but it's still very likely there is an internal fault. Unplug the TV and press the power button again- follow the same procedure.

If you still have the same issue let me know.

ok...now I have pluged back in and the same pattern.

7 red flashes...then a period of 3 intervals with no flash. then a a period of 7 flashes. I tried this reset three times.

Unfortunately this isn't something that there's a quick fix for Rick.

This problem can happen due to several things, and to determine which, a Technician would need to first inspect the Power Supply Board for signs of faulty Capacitors, as well as measure the voltages coming from the Power Supply.

The Power Supply is one of the most common causes of this problem. The capacitors on this board can swell and bulge due to receiving a surge, and can cause a voltage drop on one of the outputs on the PS. This typically will cost you $150 to have repaired.

The other very common issues, are problems with the Sustain boards failing. They are responsible for producing the image on the Plasma display and are the HARDEST working boards in the set. They also incur the greatest amount of heat which can cause failures such as the one you are having. common failures for this type of TV. Average cost for this type of repair is around $350 parts and labor.

I wish I had better news, but the set will require component level testing and replacement in order to function properly again.

If you'd like, you can locate a tech using the link below:

www.tvrepairpros.com

If you need further assistance let me know.,

If you're satisfied with my service, please do not forget to rate me accordingly.

Aric, Technician