TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Hi Dan! This is a weird question!! I have a Sony KDL52V4100.

Hi Dan! This is...
Hi Dan! This is a weird question!! I have a Sony KDL52V4100. My problem seems unique. I have another older Sony which is fine. When I play DVDs on my Toshiba All Region DVD Player on the KDL52V4100 they play "jerky" but with the same player on the other older Sony LCD they look perfect. Is this Sony doing something to discourage people using all region players? I wouldn't be surprised because I had a Sony DVD Recorder which wouldn't even let me record off HBO! I've gotten rid of all my Sony DVD equipment and am looking to get a new TV. I probably won't get another Sony but I was wondering is this makes any sense to you?
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/2/2013
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Hi Greg. Thanks for requesting me.

Yes, that's definitely odd. I'm curious to know how it looks if you connect with a non-HDMI cable. Would you be able to do that?

Hi Dan!

I just did that using the yellow/white/red connections and it plays normally but the actual picture quality isn't nearly as good. The Toshiba doesn't have the progressive type connections. I wonder why the HDMI is the problem?? I already switched the cables using HDMI-2 etc on the Sony. Do you think when I get a new non-Sony TV this problem will go away?

Thanks for the suggestion to try non HDMI cables. I did everything but that!!!

Greg

I don't suspect the problem will continue with a new set. An alternate solution would be to use component video cables (5 connections) as opposed to the composite cable you just connected (3 connections). Component video connections will allow a full HD signal.

Hi! I did use the 5 Component connections and the problem went away. I have since purchased a new Samsung TV which I'll set up soon.

Thanks again, Dan!

Greg

You're welcome, Greg. I'm happy to hear about the new Samsung! Keep me posted, if anything else comes up.