TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have an old Mitsubishi tv(1984?) hooked to cable but the

Customer Question
picture keeps scrolling thru channels-is...
I have an old Mitsubishi tv(1984?) hooked to cable but the picture keeps scrolling thru channels-is their an adjustment or solution?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: TV
8/2/2013
TV Technician: TV Tech1, Technician replied 4 years ago
TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician

Hello, I'm TV Tech1 and I'll be working with you to identify and help you resolve your problem.

You may want to check the Channel Up or Down button on the TV set...one of them can stick or break and the button loses its bounce. Once that happens, the channels move only up....or down constantly.

The best way we check this...we get inside the TV AFTER turning it on and unplug the Button board to see if the changing channels stop changing.

But it's a 1984 TV set...if you're not careful you'll get bit. And it hurts. Don't touch any part anywhere near the Red High Voltage wire. Don't touch the heatsinks. Only touch the metal frame, remove it, get it out so you can get to the button's connector cable, then plug it in and hit the power button. Then disconnect the button's cable (if it's separate from the chassis) and see if the problem stops.

Then you know for sure it's the buttons.

29 years old...and those buttons might still be available to replace them.

There are twelve openings on the panel with buttons in 2,3,4,space 5,6,7

&4 spaces/empty no buttons. Pressing #7 it goes to channel 2-scrolling does stop but if attempt to change channels will continue to scroll.

Is #7 button the Up or Down channel button? Was your channels increasing or decreasing in number before? You probably should just replace both channel buttons due to age anyways, but it's wise to isolate and identify the problem before ordering parts. That includes making sure the button isn't jammed and it's actually shorted. That's why you get the constant channel changing. A shorted push button.

You can probably stop it from changing simply by unsoldering the button. Then you can use it until you get a new button.

You have any soldering tools?

With a 1984 TV set....you can't get the service manual for something that old. We either fix it by description, or you can use a digital camera to help you.

Example --

That's just an example, but it's easier to point to things using a picture.

Thank you for information. I'll attempt your suggestions. Have a good day.

Bye

Let me know what you find.
Louie, Technician