Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

WHY DOES MY TV TURN OFF BY ITSELF?

Customer Question

WHY DOES MY TV TURN OFF BY ITSELF?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the question. How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur? How often does the TV shut itself off?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

we have had the tv for 9 years. This started a week ago.started only once an evening, now several times throughout the day.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. When the set shuts down does the standby light on the front begin to blink?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes. It blinks 6 times. After a minute i hit the on button and it comes on untill it happens again.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Does it blink 6 times then go out, or 6 blinks pause 6 blinks pause etc.?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

IT DOES NOT BLINK BEFORE IT GOES OFF. IT GOES OFF, THEN BLINKS 6 BLINKS PAUSE THEN BLINKS 6 AGAIN. AFTER SEVER INTERVALS OF BLINKING, WE HIT THE POWER BUTTON AND IT COMES ON.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

I understand, I did not ask if the light blinks before the TV goes off. I asked if the light blinks 6 times then stops. Your set is blinking a 6 code (6 times, pause, 6 times, pause) which on this Sony indicates a specific problem.

The 6 blink error code (and 7 blinks as well), is a fault on the D Board in the TV that will require service to stop the TV from shutting itself off. There are not any quick fixes for this problem.

The fault comes specifically from two IC chips which are both part number: MCZ3001D at locations IC601 and IC8002 that have failed. These chips run hot and are more prone to failure from heat. They will typically start to shut down intermittently, becoming more frequent, until the set eventually will no longer power up.

To fix the set, these would need to be replaced by a Tech. As they are soldered in place, the price for parts and labor is quite high- roughly $250-$275 on this TV.

I wish I had better news, but this repair is not likely cost effective on this set, as the TV can be replaced for almost the same money. A new flat screen of the same size is roughly the same price as repairing this TV. However the choice is ultimately yours of course.

If you'd like to have the set repaired, you can use the link below to locate a Tech in your area:

www.tvrepairpros.com

If you need further assistance, let me know and I will be glad to assist you further.