Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I bought headphones to use with my Zenith flat screen TV, model

I bought headphones to use with my Zenith flat screen TV, model #Z42PQ20. There is no "Audio Out" on my TV. There is something called "Optical Digital Audio Out" but it is not something I can plug into. It just looks like a red light. Any ideas?

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions;

Are these wireless headphones with a base that connects into the tv with red/white (left/right) rca type cables ?

Is this tv connected to a cable box/converter,satellite receiver,digital converter etc ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes and yes

O.k then it would mean that you would need a digital to analog audio converter but there may be a workaround this ;

Look at the back of the cable box and there should be a set of left/right audio outputs where you could connect your headphone`s base.

Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, there are not any connections on the cable box. It is one of the little boxes. So, what do I need, and where do I get it? Radioshack?

O.k then to convert the optical audio out of your tv into analog left/right signal , you would need one of those converter that you can see at the link below;

http://www.walmart.com/ip/SIIG-Digital-to-Analog-Audio-Converter/20532126

You probably could also get one at radio shack or order it online at a place like amazon (link below)

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-to-Analog-Audio-Converter/dp/B002KY4SQ6

Don`t forget to get the optical/toslink cable that you will need to connect it at the back of your tv.

This unit will connect between your tv and headphones base.

Hope this help and I will be in standby if you have any questions.
Thank you and please take the time to rate my answer if that answers your question and note that you can reach me here at anytime after this chat is closed if you have other questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. I just ordered them.

No problem, much welcome and you can reach me here at any time after this chat is closed if you have questions
Thank you and please take the time to rate my answer positively as it is the only way i get credited for my time helping you.