TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

DLP - 61 inch SAMSUNG. Wont turn on. Cycles 3 times then shuts

Customer Question
DLP - 61 inch SAMSUNG...
DLP - 61 inch SAMSUNG. Won't turn on. Cycles 3 times then shuts down with the three front LEDs flashing. Used canned air to blow dust from lamp, fan and ballast. Replaced bulb and color wheel with new ones but have the same problem. I bypassed the temp sensor to see if it was the problem and its is still not working. The lamp comes on and the colors wheels spins up. The lamp comes on colors wheel spins, then the lamp shuts off and color wheels stops and it does this 2 more times then the TV shuts down with the shut down chirps.

Thank you for your time and knowledge
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: TV
7/8/2013
TV Technician: Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician replied 4 years ago
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Hi! My name isXXXXX am happy to help you with this! Please bear with me and be patient as sometimes these issues take a little bit of figuring out before we know what's wrong. If you could give me some more information it will be very helpful:

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)
-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Model # XXXXX I think it's from 2004-2005

Ok so, have you secured the lamp door switch manually to test and see if thats an issue yet?

Tim

yep. I even jumped it to see if the switch was the issue.

OK do you have a meter? If so have you checked the voltages feeding the ballast from the DMD board as well as from the power supply?

Tim

I'm in the process of moving and my voltage meter is at the new house. I may be going there this afternoon and can check it tonight. I may need more guidance on what the DMD board is and which wires to check on both the DMD and the ballast.

Ok no problem, take your time and let me know when you are with it.

Tim

I have the meter. What would you like me to check and what voltage am I looking for?

I have the meter now.

Yes, we need the voltage readings on all wires going to the ballast from the DMD board. Also we need the DC reading from the power supply to the ballast.

Tim

Ok checked the voltage coming inot the set, 110, out of the card to the first set of jumpers, 110. I'm going to look at the brown and blue wires going to the ballast next. Are those AC or DC?

Can you get me a picture of the tv with the back off? I am not sure you are checking in the right spot and want to mark on the picture where I need you to check.

Tim

It gave me access denied when trying to upload. I will try again.

Can you upload somewhere like www.imgur.com and send me the link?

Tim

Ok so I can only see the one connector from this picture, there should be another set of 5 small wires going to this board.

For this connector, push one lead into each hole with the wires and set the meter to DC, turn the set on, what do you read?

Also, if you can get me another better picture of this board, I can show you the smaller wire connector we need tested.

Tim
Yes, that is the exact connector, I need you to test each wire for DC voltage.

You need to put your black lead on ground to test this one. The easiest way is to use the metal case of the tuner for ground. The tuner is the part that has the rf connector sticking out the back of the set that you screw a cable line onto.

Tim

Do I unplug the connector and test the harness end or the board side? The pins are VERY small, do I just stick a single wire into it and test that? Lastly about how many volts DC am I looking for?

No, you have to leave it in.

You might be able to get to it easier on the other side of the board?

If not, yes if you stick something into the hole to use as a probe that will help you.

you are looking for around 5v.

I need you to monitor each pin, from the time you plug it in, to the time it shuts down.

Tim

Starting with the Blue wire in the harness:

Blue = 7 Volts comes on when bulb / fan comes on goes on and off with bulb and fan

White 1 = 3.4-4 volts only on with when the light is on

White 2 = 12 volts comes on and stays on pretty much the whole time, did drop onece or twice but only when the tv cycled.

White 3 = nothing

White 4 = 7 volts comes on and off with lamp start up.

Those voltage readings are a little high, which is odd. What is your meter set to? What is the model number for your meter?

Tim

Its just a basic analog meter set to 10 volts.

Oh ok, so the readout then is not as accurate as a digital, I now understand the discrepancy.

It sounds like you might need a new ballast here. Its getting everything it needs to turn on and stay on but wont stay on. Normally I would say that it could be a bad bulb but you already replaced that.

Tim

But the bulb turns on. I can see it on and I can see tye color wheel spin.

Here is a video of what its doing.

http://www.imbrian.com/TV/20130711_113459[1].mp4

Yeah I know it comes on...its normal for a bad lamp or a bad ballast to turn on and off like that over and over again.

So its possible that you have a bad ballast if its not strong enough to keep it up and running. I have seen this before on your model.

Its similar to a ballast in a florescent light in a building, have you seen them flicker on and off, on and off before? The same principle applies.

I just dont see what else could be causing this with the voltages you have given me and the parts you have replaced.

The tv should have everything it needs to work.

Tim

I am going to order a new ballast and see if that fixes the problem.

OK sounds good, let me know what happens!

Thanks,
Tim
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician