TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a Mitsubishi 1080p Diamond Series 65" Power went out

last night (Partially about 50%...
I have a Mitsubishi 1080p Diamond Series 65" Power went out last night (Partially about 50% for about 10 min. then completely) We were watching TV when it happened. Screen went out and red led light on front started blinking. I tried to turn off but kept blinking until power went completely. This morning, will not turn on and just blinks. I tried resetting the reset button in front and disconnecting power.
6/24/2013
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Hello my name is Anthony
Welcome
Thanks for the Question

I may be a few minutes between each request for info thanks for your patience!

Could you please get me the model number found on the back of the set thank you.

Anthony

WS65711

Hi

Is it the timer light blinking and if so is it blinking fast or slow?

Does it ever stop blinking please?(still connected to power)

Anthony

I am sorry, it is a green light and is blinking steadily fast with power on. When unplugged, it still blinks fast for abiut 10 seconds then goes off.

Hi

Is it the timer light blinking?it will be labelled on the set?

Anthony

Yes it says timer under it

Hi Roger

Its a common problem with mitsy this issue, its usually 90% of the time failure of capacitors within the Digital Module they have to be replaced their is a kit for this here

http://www.tvrepairkits.com/xcart/ws-65711/ <<click

The DM needs to come out the old capacitors removed new ones fitted their is a complete guide in the kit your requirements is that you can use a soldering iron well.

I am sorry this isnt anything easier

A tech would charge about $200 for this work you can locate a tech in your area by using this link www.tvrepairpros.com

Let me know if you need more info
Please dont forget to rate the answer.Thank You

Many Thanks
Anthony

Removed the DM Board, took it to electronics shop, they tested the caps and said are all good, also they tested the fuse in the DM board.

Hi Roger

Hmm how did they do that?

Anthony

With what looked like a Digital Volt Ohm Meter.

Hi

The capacitors would each have to be taken out and checked with an ESR meter not a voltage meter so that means desoldering them out of the board.
I usually just replace them even if they look OK

How did you know where the DM module was please?its very tricky to get out

Outside of this its the DM module itself that would be bad and they are no longer available sadly

Let me know if you need more info
Anthony

Was not really that hard (I have 30 yrs exp working on Autos and this was a walk in the park compared to some component removals on vehicles!) The internet is a very useful tool for help. I identified the board and removed it. It says DM POWER on it. Has 7 capacitors 1000uf 16V.

I personnaly thought you had to test capacitors out of circuit, although may not be 100% correct, According to another article,

"Of course there are ways to test capacitors, both in circuit and out. While a truly accurate test involved taking the cap out of circuit, a basic test can certainly be done in circuit. To test for capacitor function in circuit demands a good understanding of the circuit operation."

I really want to believe it is the capacitors, as it is an easy inexpensive fix. The man at the shop said he thinks it is in the convergence capacitors? or the main fuse. I will be heading home shortly to test the main fuse.

I am in no way discounting the fact that it is the DM caps but he seemed knoweledgable of TV's Had 4 of them sitting on the counter, and no service calls til Weds! Power outages, surges good for business! This outage affected over 145K people.

Hi Roger

Yes I can see the bigger picture (pardon the pun!)with that explaination, and yes it is easy to get out to someone who can use tools... I now know you can...

Let me tell you whats happening with the set whilst the timer light is blinking fast>>>the set is not booting up and thats carried out by the digital module, its not getting to a stage were the set controls the hardware, now if you google "blinking timer light" with mitsubishi rear projection sets you will see tons of info about this very issue all relating to the DM module

EEPROM issue or powerboard issues have known to cause the blinking light too (EEprom within DM)in most cases though 80% that I have come across the capacitors are the trouble, the DM board itself is not available anymore for this set anywhere except perhaps scrap sets listed on craiglist

Anthony
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Hello Roger

Can I do anything else for you here?

Let me know please

Anthony
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician