TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My 37lc2D TV seems to have lost some of its sensitivity to

Customer Question
a remote control. I've...
My 37lc2D TV seems to have lost some of its sensitivity to a remote control. I've changed the remotes batteries, Tried a new remote as per the manual. I noticed if I stand in front of the set everything will work properly, but if I move slightly to the left or right the mute and the volume buttons do not work. If I go 5' to 6' away I lose the channel controls. I had a local repairman in who took the set to his shop, told me the TV was ok. He returned it, set it up and it worked. He said,they did not find a problem, but did charge me for a service call. The problem was OK for some time, but now has returned.
With this condition it is a pain for my Wife 81 & Myself 82 to keep getting up & down.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: TV
6/21/2013
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 4 years ago
Aric, Technician
Hello, My name is Aric and I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

How long have you had the set for, and when did the problem occur?

Also, how long did the set work OK for once it was returned, and do you think the remote's batteries could be in question at this point, or probably not?

We have had this set aprox. 5yrs, the problem arose last Yr. The problem arose again near the end of last month. The batteries are not in question.

Thanks for the reply. There's no settings or adjustments in the TV that can cause or correct this issue. The fault is in the IR sensor board in the TV, which is a replaceable part that costs around $25. I realize that you already had the set in a shop, and he charged you while determining nothing was wrong, but you do need the sensor replaced. I see this problem commonly on here. Now, this requires opening up the TV to replace this part, are you looking for a repair estimate, or looking for a source to buy the part yourself?

I'm looking for the repair estimate if it will solve the problem.

what is the proceedure I must follow ?

I don't have a set procedure for you to follow, as we're not directyl affiliated with any shops, but what you need to do is have a shop replace the "IR Board", which is a small board that plugs into the mainboard on the TV. The cost of the board is typically $25, and the cost of labor is typically $100- for $125 total. If you'd like you can use one of the following links to locate a Tech in your area to have the set repaired:

www.tvrepairpros.com

www.tvrepairman.com

You would tell the Tech you need a new IR board installed, and this was confirmed by a Technician before you brought the set down to him.

Aric, Technician