TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Westinghouse LCD tv wont turn on. No power light at all. Worked

Customer Question
Westinghouse LCD tv won't turn...
Westinghouse LCD tv won't turn on. No power light at all. Worked fine when I turned it off earlier. Unpluggednandnlugged back, still nothing
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/5/2013
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 5 years ago
Aric, Technician
Hello, My name is Aric and I will be glad to assist you. Troubleshooting what is wrong will require that I ask you for some more information. Also, please keep in kind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

How long have you had the set for, and when did the problem occur?
Was it after a storm or power outage?
Are there any signs of life at all on the TV ("click" sound when power is pressed, or click when power is unplugged, then plugged back in)?

We have had the set for one year

There was no storm or power outage. We turned the set off when we left the house. We we returned two hour later it wouldn't come on.

There are no signs of life. No click. There is normally a blue light on when the set is plugged in, but there is no blue light.

I left the set unplugged all night. When I plugged it in the next morning still nothing.

Thanks for the reply.

Please disconnect the set from AC power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 20 seconds. After another minute, plug the set back in and press power once. Do you still have the same problem?

Unfortunately this model (Westinghouse LD-4680) does not seem to have a physical power button. There are labels on the side of the TV for power, volume, etc but no buttons.

They are touch sensitive buttons that you simply place your finger over.

I unplugged the tv. Pressed the indentation that must be the touch sensitive button for 20 seconds. Waited a minute. Plugged it back in. Still nothing

Is there a Green or Blue light lit up on the brick-style power supply?

No light on the power supply. I don't see where would be one. The TV normally has a blue light when it is plugged in but the power is off. There is no blue light. I have tried switching to a different outlet and no change.

This TV uses an outboard "brick style" power supply right?

If so, do you have a Multi-Meter and the ability to measure the voltages at the end of the plug that connects to the TV?

Yes

Yes to both questions?

Please get your meter and set it to DC volts, then unplug the tip of the power supply cable from the TV, and place the Black probe on the metal shield of the connector, and the red probe inside the hole in the connector. Let me know what you get for voltages please.

I need to grab the multimeter. It will take a little while.

Okay no problem. Let me know when you have a chance to try this.

I get 19

Okay thank you. What is the voltage stated on the supply itself, 24 volts, or 20 volts DC?

19V 4.74A

Thank you, it looks like the AC adaptor is working as it should and the problem is within your TV.

Are you willing to remove the back of the TV and perform some visual inspections, and take some voltage measurements inside the set?

Sure.

I have no ideas on this problem and will Opt Out and perhaps another Expert can assist you. Your question is now open for other Experts to view, and if any can assist you with your problem, they will reply back to this conversation. Best regards, Aric

Seriously? You asked if I would take the back off and then opt out? Well, the back is off if another expert is willing to help.

I opted out because I looked and could not find a power supply board in this set, or test points on the mainboard like most LCD TV's have. So, I am unable to give you specific instructions on how to test. Sorry about that.

Thanks for your time

TV Technician: Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center replied 5 years ago
Anthony F.
Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Hello JA Customer
I have been fixing Tv and Electronics since I was 5 years old
With better than 20 years experience and 17 years in business
Now that you have the back off recheck the 19V with the supply connected to the tv
is it still 19V?
Yes
does the tv click at all when you try to turn it on?
any lights?

No

you are going to need a meter and a good camera
Do you have these?
Louie, Technician