TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My Westinghouse LED TV HDMI ports are not seeing the input

Customer Question
signal. They both were working...
My Westinghouse LED TV HDMI ports are not seeing the input signal. They both were working fine until I swapped out one of the cables. Now both don't work at all. Any ideas?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: TV
1/1/2013
TV Technician: Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer replied 5 years ago
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer

Have you tried using a new HDMI cable? Also, have you tried using a different HDMI source, as a test?

Yes and yes. I have tried 3 different cables and 2 different hdmi sources. All new cables that work fine in other tvs

Ok, and the TV does work normally with non-HDMI sources... right?

yes just fine

Then unfortunately the most probable cause is a failure of the TV's HDMI circuitry. Is the TV warranted? If it isn't, do you plan to make repairs yourself or would you need a cost on repair?

Is there anyway to reset the tv to factory new?

Yes, you can reset the settings. To do that, select MENU > SETTINGS > RESET ALL.

You might also want to disconnect all your power cord for at least 5 minutes. This would include the HDMI source devices, as well.

Tried that still not detecting HDMI sources grrrr. It was working fine both HDMI ports just swapped out one cable and now not detecting HDMI source? REALLY odd.

It's unfortunately quite common for HDMI ports to fail like this. Digital circuitry is pretty sensitive, particularly to electrostatic discharge and electrical surges... both of which could've from connecting and disconnecting cables.

I'm happy to advise on professional repair, or I can help you do it yourself. Either way is fine for me.

how much can i expect to pay for a repair? Or is it fairly easy for me to repair myself?

The main board (where the HDMI ports are) usually runs $70-$90 depending on where you get it. That's for a used board with warranty (6 months, typically). If you repair it yourself, that's all you'll spend.

Should you decide to hire a pro, the part price would remain the same but you'd need to factor labor costs of roughly $150, depending on where you live. It could be a little more or less.

If you want to do this yourself, you'll need to disconnect the power cord then remove the entire rear panel. Lots of screws... have a cup nearby. Then you'd need to get the part number from the board itself. It'll be something like 69.EB41M.0BA.

Let me know.