TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

my sony tv kds-r50xbr1 power lamp flashes 4 times red after…

my sony tv kds-r50xbr1 power...
my sony tv kds-r50xbr1 power lamp flashes 4 times red after replacing it with a new bulb
10/14/2012
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Thanks for the question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm sorry to hear about your TV.

Are you sure it's 4 flashes, and not 3?

4 isn't impossible, but 3 would make a lot more sense after a lamp replacement.

Best,

i know nothing in owners manual about 4 red flashes just 3 but im positive its 4. after replacing new bulb power/lamp goes green flashing for 10 seconds then solid green for another few than back to 4 flashing red

John,

That means you've got a bad cooling fan (most probable), or a bad AGU board (pretty rare).

Is this something you want to troubleshoot and repair yourself? If so, let me know and I can help. Otherwise, it may be best to let a technician run some internal diagnostics to narrow it down.

Diagnostics, parts and labor for a bad fan will run about $150-$250 depending on where you live and how thorough the shop is. If they're any good, they'll overhaul most of your cooling system, while they're in there. That takes more time ($) but it should be worth it to you.

If you want to get inside the TV yourself, click "reply to expert" and let me know.

If you'd rather let a technicXXXXX XXXXXdle it, please take a second to rate the service I've provided tonight by clicking on a happy smiley face.

Best,

yeah id like to see if it just needs cleaned

Ok. You want to do it yourself?

yes

Excellent.

The first thing we need to do, is get a clear view of the back of the TV. It will need to be connected to power, though.

Now, standing behind the TV get a good visual on two fans. There's a large one near the bottom, on the left. There's a smaller one in the middle, still toward the bottom. Let me know if you need a picture.

Get a good visual (use a flashlight if needed) on the first fan (you pick). Have someone press the power button on the front of the TV and see if the fan spins smoothly.

Do the same test for the 2nd fan.

Do both fans spin up quickly and smoothly?

small right fan spinning smooth large one on left not spinning

Excellent. Good work, John.

Our first mission is to replace that fan. No doubt, that's is triggering that 4-blink code you're seeing.

The part number is XXXXX You can get a new one from this link, for about $20.

I've taken the liberty of uploading some disassembly instructions for you. Click here to download them. That link is only active for 7 days, so make sure you download ASAP.

While you're inside the TV, take the opportunity to vacuum all the dust you can find. If you cover the optics with a clean cloth, you can also use canned/compressed air.

Also, consider using mild detergent and warm water on plastics. Use optical grade/camera cleaner on any lens/optical assemblies.

If you need any clarification or have more questions for me, click "reply to expert" and let me know. If you're finished, please click the smiley face that best represents the service I've provided. If the system won't let you click a smiley face, please let me know because without your rating, I'm not compensated for my time here. Rating me will not close your question (you can get back to me, if you need to).

Best,