TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a samsung dlp tv model number hls4266wx/xaa and it wont…

Customer Question
I have a samsung dlp...
I have a samsung dlp tv model number hls4266wx/xaa and it won't turn on. No fans no light nothing. All it does is have three flashing lights where the power button is. Please help. Samsung tech said it was the main board but that's an expensive gamble.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: TV
10/1/2012
TV Technician: TV Tech1, Technician replied 5 years ago
TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician

Do you hear the color wheel make a Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee noise before the lamp lights?

Does the Lamp arc or light up at all?

No it doesn't even start. The lamp doesn't even try to light. Nothing besides the three flashing light on the power button

Ok, so the wheel doesn;t sound like it's working and neither does the lamp.

BP96-01579A is the color wheel and if you don't hear the wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee, it needs replaced.

BP96-01578A

BP96-01472A

There's two part numbers for your lamp. Check the side of your TV's cabinet (left side as viewed from the front) and tell me which one matches the sticker there.

Its bp96-01472a. But if the color wheel is bad wouldn't the cooling fans still run? cause they're not. Nothing is working.

The fans don't spin at all right? Now I will tell you this, It is SUPER RARE that FANS GO BAD AND STOP A TV FROM STARTING UP.....AND CREATING THE 3 BLINK CODE.

That's why I'm concentrating more on the 3 blink code and what causes that to appear.

If the fans don't start, I think they blink the lights up front differently (although I never have seen it)

However....there is ONE board inside the TV that controls ALL fans and color wheel, and lamp. And some of them have a little green led light that lights up when it's getting

the 12 volt power it needs to run.

See picture --

graphic

That's a generic picture of the HLS series of TV sets, so yours may look a little different, but you should be able to see a lamp lit. Check it when you power up the TV set.

Tell me if you see it or not.

No I don't see it lighting. Nothing starts up or moves. The only thing you get when you plug it in is a one click noise and three flashing lights.

Ok, no fans spinning, no color wheel spinning....no lamp light lighting...it's highly suspect that board is dead or the 12 Volt supply that is supposed to light up that LED in that board is missing.

Do you have a voltmeter ?

The next step is going to require us testing the 12 Volt supply to the DMD module/board.

Yes I do

Ok, here is a map/layout of what you need to do.

Remove the rear cover, JUMPER the LAMP DOOR's Blue paddle switch.

Ground your meter to the Outer sleeve of one of the RCA Jacks on the back of the TV set like THIS --

graphic

Now...you want to make SURE your DMD module is getting the 12 Volts and the 5 Volts since you didn't see the LAMP light up on it.

Here is the complete layout of how the power gets from the MAIN BOARD over to the DMD BOARD.

We need to check that.

Instructions on what wires to test are included, sure hope your meter has some pointy probes to stick into the top of the plugs and hit metal. Unplugging the plugs and sticking metal wire into the holes of the plug is a little more tedious.

Anyways, check those two plugs on the DMD board --

( And don't forget you have to turn it on to get the readings)

graphic

Ok so I plugged in the tv. Jumped the light switch. Cn1093 #2 .44 #7 4.96 cn1092 #1 .35 #2 .35 #5 .44 #6 .44 they all seem to be low on voltage besides #7my so does this mean the power board is bad?

It READS like the TV was turned off...are you sure you turned the TV on?

The only thing that has voltage is the standby 5 volts. The 12 Volts and Digital 5 volts gets turned on by the main board -- so either the main board is bad, or the power supply can't get turned on by the main board.

Do you see CN1090 Pin 9 ? That's the power switch command line from the main board. It turns on the power supply. Check and see if that pin is switching between 0 volts and 5 Volts when you press the power button.

The tv doesn't turn on just three flashing lights if you hit the power button it does nothing. But I'll try cn1090 pin 9 and see what happens
That will tell us what we need to know.
Ok so that board has a green led light lite on it. I tested pin number 9 and when I hit the power button I jumped from zero to 2.98
Ok, if it jumped, go back and check the 12 Volt line and see if it jumps too.
I checked all the twelve volt lines that I already checked cause you didn't say witch one. But either way nothing else is jumping. Even pin 9 on the other board didn't jump just stayed at 2.98 even if I hit the power button. I hear the power board making a low buzzing noise but it only makes the noise when the power button flashes

2.98 volts is a little LOW to me...I was expecting 5 Volts, but some TV's have a 5 Volt computer, and some TV's have a 3.3 volt computer, and it looks like you have the 3.3

You are RIGHT ON THE EDGE OF BAD....even with a 3.3 Volt computer.

The next test I would do....I'd stick a wire in that 5 Volt standby pin, and jumper the voltage over to that 3.3 volt Power on command line and check to see if the 12 Volt lines comes alive and stays alive while the 5 volts is on that power on line.

Right now....it's looking like the main board can't turn on the power supply lines.

5 Volts and 12 Volts are critical....we need both to get the TV to start. And if the main board can't deliver it's Power on Command to the power supply...we're going to have a dead TV set

You only need to check one 12 Volt line, one 5 Volt line, or the standby 5 volts when requested.

CN1090 Pin 9 That's the power switch command line

Cn1093 Pin 7 4.96 volts

Jumper the two with your voltmeter connected to the 12 volt supply. We have to make sure it's either the main board or the power board.

Make the power board turn itself on by jumpering those pins. Check the voltage.

When I jump them I hear the power board click. But I don't see a 12v reading any where

What did you jump ? CN1090 pin 9 to pin 1 ? Where did you read it at? The main board or the power board? Both boards connected or disconnected? I really need those details so I know the test was done right.

I ground to the outer sleeves of the RCA jacks with an alligator jumper clip, Unplug the CN1090 from the main board, stick wires in the pin 1 and pin 9 holes, use an alligator jumper between the pins then go look at the 12 & 5 volt lines at the power supply board.

Wow this is completely diffent from your last massage you sent..... but I will do that and get back to you

Yeah, sometimes the information can be questionable, so don't be surprised if I CLARIFY the instructions just to make sure the test was done correctly. Sometimes the instructions need clarification, and it does work in both directions too.

You know that old saying...sometimes the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing? That's why we clarify before proceeding to the next test. Communication can be challenging, so do your best and I'll do my best, XXXXX XXXXX is NO such thing as as stupid question. Ask anytime and I'll answer....at least the ones that are important for a good analysis.

Ok so I unplugged cn1090 and jumped pin 1 and 9 then I went over to the power and got two readings only and they were both 4.96. No 12v any where on the power board....

Hmm, no 12 volts seen on any of the 12 volt power supply lines....sounds like we have a bad power supply if that's the case.

So jumping pin 1 and 9 should tell the power board to turn on the 12v power? And since it's not then the power board is bad?
Yes, that's the end result. No 12 Volts after jumpering Pin 1 and 9, and it's the source of 12 Volts, then the power supply board is where our problem is.
So just order a new one and it should be fixed? It's weird cause the wires going to the color wheel seem Linda burnt.....

Can you get a PICTURE of those LINES??

I've seen burned wires, but the ribbon cable powers up the motor, not the white wires. Those are speed sensors.

Yeah I will. How do I put it on here

Ok, first....you cannot use SAFARI as your web browser because the button to add pictures does not exist on that.

These have the button --

graphic

Next, your response boxes may be laid out like this --

graphic

And lastly, to get the Picture to appear, you have to select the JPG file your camera created, and WAIT for the filename to appear in the boxes I highlighted in yellow.

It can take 45 seconds for the filename to appear BEFORE you press the OK and then the INSERT button.

graphic

So be patient with the download on the first picture especially.

Google Chrome's button won't show up unless you type in some text...then press REPLY.....then press EDIT to add the picture.

IE8, IE9, and Firefox are the ones I would use.

Don't use cellphones/tablets to communicate to Just Answer. They don't have the picture insert/edit button on them yet.

The only thing I have is a DROID

You can't EMAIL it to your computer ?? I always Emailed mine.

That's the thing I don't have a computer is there another way?

Send the pictures to [email protected]

ATTN TV Tech1

Customer

http://www.justanswer.com/tv-repair/76xes-samsung-dlp-tv-model-number-hls4266wx-xaa-won-t.html

It should post in a couple days

Did you ever get the pic I sent you?

I have not recieved anything as of yet.

Ok....Droid....hmm, I wonder if you can --

Email to a computer then use IE8, Firefox or even Google chrome to post it.

Access a website from your Droid, like Photobucket and post it online for public viewing then save the websites url and post it here.

You could try sending the picture(s) again to [email protected] , but it's like "snail mail" especially when sent over the weekend.

Worst case scenario....transfer your pictures to a USB stick or SD card if your Droid has that capability, then take the card over to one of the county public libraries, sign onto Just Answer, and post the JPG from your drive onto the desktop and use the Paperclip/Tree button to select the JPG.

Yeah....complicated, I know. But that's what you do when you don't have a Desktop computer sitting at home.

To make it easier do you have an email or a number I can send it to?

I wish there was easier. You either have a desktop computer and can post it to that, or you email it to your desktop, or you send it to [email protected]

with your Url

They were supposed to make cell phones accessible this winter, but we still have to do it the way we've always done it.

Dang, we really do need personal addresses here...something to forward it to us

Ok

Several responses back we checked --

And we didn't have 12 volts, only 5 volts on the Yellow and Blue highlighted connectors.

And I wanted to look at the burned cables you had on your color wheel cables.

Yes sir

Can you post pictures to a public website like Photobucket or Imgur, and then just transfer the website's page to Just Answers?

http://s1162.beta.photobucket.com/user/damoneb1/media/mallystilllookingcute.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0#/user/damoneb1/media/mallystilllookingcute.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0&_suid=135300523130205302634581174326

Just like that?