TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

Sony Bravia TV is receiving error 5006.

I have a Sony Bravia...

I have a Sony Bravia TV used for Internet/Netflix. All connections are okay and I can see my wireless settings and signal strength is excellent but I keep receiving Error 5006. I have shut it down and unplugged everything, including wireless adaptor, as well as reset the TV, but nothing has worked.

9/2/2012
39Potato

Thanks for choosing JustAnswer. I will be assisting you today.
Are you receiving this error on your TV or for your Netflix?
Let me know.

The error is on the TV screen when I try to update/refresh the internet settings. The TV indicates that it is communicating with internet (I've checked the speed, and it's more than adequate). It also says it's acquiring internet content and then the Sony error 5006 shows.

No internet sites display when previously I had numerous options for internet content.

How did you reset the TV?

Using the remote I went to “Home”. Home took me to “Settings”. Network Setting has 1) Network Setup, 2) Refresh Internet Content, 3) Show/Hide Media Servers, 4) Media Server Troubleshooting. I've gone through each of those.

I read somewhere to try to turn off the TV using the power switch on the side and I did that.

I went through initial setup of the TV as well where you select language, etc.

Try this and let me know if this works, this is called a hard reset.

Holding the up arrow on remote and pressing the power button on the side of the TV.
Hold this until the TV resets itself.
Let me know if this works. If this did not work please reply so we can continue working.

It did not work. "Configuration failed while acquiring Internet content. The system has encountered an error. If problem persists, contact Sony.”

5006 Select "Network Setup" to check your network settings. If you believe the error is resolved, select "Retry".

Which I have done about a zillion times today.

I still have other troubleshooting steps if you would like to continue trying?
Let me know.

Sure. I Googled it earlier so I've tried some of those. I live in the boonies so Sony won't make house calls.

Can I get the model number on your TV?

Model Number - KDL-52EX700

Serial Number - (###) ###-####br/>Software Version - PKG4.112AAL

Right now are you able to get to the Home Menu?

Yes.

Well as you may know, error 5006 is a Speed Problem.
Please go to www.speedtest.net
Run the speed test and then give me the results.

Download: 15.23

Upload: 7.51

Ping13ms

Let’s try to disconnect everything for your wireless internet, then directly connect the Ethernet Cable instead of using wireless. I would like you to then reset your router and see what that does.

Well, that disconnected me from you as well. But, I got the same message.

You may have done these steps but please follow each step.

NOTE: Because each of these steps represents a possible solution to this issue, check the Internet content status after completing each step.

Perform Refresh Internet Content:

1. Using the supplied remote, press the HOME button.
2. Select Network.
3. Select Refresh Internet Content.
4. If the problem still exists, perform the Refresh Internet Content again.
5. If the problem persists, follow the steps below to troubleshoot the Internet connection:
6. Ensure that active Internet connection has been properly connected using a wired router, wireless bridge, or wireless gaming adapter
7. Reset the network equipment, such as cable modem, wired/wireless router by powering Off and On, then attempt Refresh Internet Content.
8. If the problem continues, wait a while and try to Refresh Internet Content again.
9. Make sure that the Internet speed meets the minimum recommended specification of 2.5Mb for standard definition (SD) content and 10Mb for High Definition (HD) content.
10. Test quality of service by checking ping, jitter and packet loss.

* Ping should be under 30ms
* Jitter less than 3ms
* Packet loss should be 0

NOTE: To test the speed of the Internet connection, the LAN connection should be disconnected from the back of the BIV device and connected to a computer. For assistance or questions regarding the tools required to test the speed of an Internet connection on a computer, contact the computer manufacturer or Internet Service Provider (ISP).

Let me know how it goes.

Still the same error message.

When you went into the Home Settings did you do this

SETTINGS > SYSTEM SETTINGS > GENERAL SET-UP > FACTORY SETTINGS.

And restore the TV back to factory setting?
If you didn't, you should do this and then you will have to set the TV back up but you should be able to get the tv to work properly without Error 5006.

39Potato

The settings button didn't include system settings/general set-up or factory settings. I don't think this is going to help but thank you for trying, I appreciate it.