TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Magnavox HDTV Model:32MF337B/27. Cannot turn on TV. Power/Standby

button on front of set...
Magnavox HDTV Model:32MF337B/27. Cannot turn on TV. Power/Standby button on front of set is unresponsive. I used my universal remote to turn on the set and the cable box and they were out of sync so the TV came on and the cable box shut off. I tried to shield the TV from the remote and turned on the Cable box as this was my typical solution but it shut off the power to the TV and the TV hasn't come on since.
9/2/2012
Craig
Craig, Electrical/ Electronic Technician

Craig :

Try pressing the 'TV' button to turn on the TV, then press the 'CBL' button then press power to turn on the cable box.

Craig :

Press TV, then power button to turn on the

TV

Customer:

I've had the TV unplugged from everything ready to take to a tech. I hooked all the cables back, plugged it in and it's working. I previously tried pressing the different buttons as you've described but nothing happened. Perhaps it just needed a rest with no cables attached.

Craig :

Yes, that's good then that it's back. The TV button and changing to cable will allow you to control the TV and cable box in the future.

Craig :

Thanks, Craig

Customer:

oops! not fixed. The standby light was on and I turned on the tv today and it was on for a five or six seconds then shut itself off. I unplugged everything and the standby light came back on when I plugged it back in but when I turned on the tv it shut itself off again after a few seconds.

Customer:

Can't seem to get on at the same time

]

Customer:

my last comment has nothing to do with my problem, I was just commenting that you and I haven't been available atr the same time for a live chat

Customer:

I'm thinking that my problem isn't one of simply pressing buttons. If you determine that it's a part that needs to be changed I'd like to think that I could do it if I had the correct part in hand and an idea of how to access the part's location inside the TV. If you think that it may be too difficult for the average person to attempt, please let me know that too!

Gina King

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Yes, please keep looking thanks. I'll check back in from time to time to see if you've an answer for me.

Aric, Technician
Do you still need assistance with this problem?

I've had the TV unplugged from everything ready to take to a tech. I hooked all the cables back, plugged it in and it's working.

If I don't use the universal remote the TV stays on (so far) but now I'm unsure how long this will last... do I need a different solution?

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the delay. If the TV was on, and then shut itself offf- then the problem is not with the remote. Let me ask you, if you press the power button on the TV itself, will the set turn on reliably?

No, when the TV shuts off the power button on the front is unresponsive. The only way that I've been able to turn the TV on is to unplug the power supply AND the cable connection and when I plug them back in the TV's red standby light comes on and then I've been able to use the remote that came with the TV to turn it on and so far this has worked but if I use the universal remote which came with my cable box the TV shuts down.

Thanks for the reply.

I've seen this same exact problem with your set, and unfortunately, this indicates a failure within the TV that requires service.

Are you looking to repair this yourself?

Or are you looking for a diagnosis and repair estimate?

I'd do it myself if it's an easy fix like a part replacement.

Thanks for the reply. The problem is that the Power Supply inside the TV has failed. You will need to remove all of the screws from the back of the TV, and pull off the entire rear panel to replace this. It is the circuit board that connects to the AC input on the TV. To replace this board, you would simply need a screwdriver, and to remove the screws around the perimeter of the board, then unplug the wire harnesses from the board to remove it. Installation is thereverse of removal. The link below is to where you can purchase the power supply for your TV (unfortunately the vendors I'm checking are showing this as sold out, or out of stock). I would suggest staying in contact with www.shopjimmy.com to find out when this board will be available for purchase.

http://www.interliquidparts.com/products-page/lcd/magnavox-32-32mf337b27-lcd-flat-panel-power-supply-715t2190-4/

http://www.shopjimmy.com/delta-dps-185kp-2-power-supply-unit.htm

If you need further assistance let me know.

If you are satisfied with the service, please rate my answer accordingly.

Aric, Technician
Do you require further assistance with this problem?
Aric, Technician