TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Dlinks not working for netflix connection, netflix is working

otherwise,what do i do??...
Dlinks not working for netflix connection, netflix is working otherwise,what do i do??
8/19/2012
Joe
Joe, Technician

Thank you for using justanswer.com, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you with your concern today.

Dlink what? I need the model number please.

Is netflix the only problem with it?

Thanks,

Joe

Joe, Thanks for helping, I really want Netflix to work for me.
Dlink model #DSM 310, Netflix,Vudu,Pandora,and You Tube are the other features,none are working.

Relist: Incomplete answer.
Steve G., Technician

Hi. I'm Steve. I'm sorry but it appears the original expert is no online and you relisted. I will try my best to give you a precise and accurate answer.

Can you tell me what you are trying to connect to the D-Link router? A TV perhaps? A BluRay player? Roku? AppleTV?

Let me know the make and model please.

Thanks.

Thanks for response Steve, the DLink is connected to my Vizio Tv Model #E470VLE. I have Hi speed internet with a wireless router located at the opposite end of the room, approx. 40 ft.

This Vizio TV does not support an internet connection. The USB port is for the connection of a flash drive so that you can view image files (photos). A LAN adapter like the DLink will not work and even if it did...the TV does not have any internet streaming apps like Netflix anyway.

You will need a Netflix streaming device like a Roku, AppleTV or compatible BluRay player.

I'm sorry that there is no quick and easy fix for this problem. I wish there was.

I'll be here if you need more help.

Please click 'Reply To Expert' unless you consider this dialog complete and you are 100% satisfied with my service (not the website or the situation). If you are ready to rate my service, selecting anything less than 3 out of 5 smiley faces will negatively affect my rating.

Thanks.

Steve

Steve, Your telling me that even tho the DLink says it streams, my TV isn't compatable so I need to return the DLink for another divice? I'll do that now and should be back in 1 hour to try again,so I don't want to complete our dialog untill I know it works.

Yes, the TV is not capable of streaming. It is not the DLink, the TV is not networkable. You can't connect the TV to your router. It is not designed that way.

If you want to stream Netflix to your TV, you will need an external device that DOES connect to your router like a Roku, AppleTV or compatible BluRay player. Then connect that to your TV and you are off to the races :)

Here, this is what I would get: www.roku.com

I'll be here if you need more help.

Thanks.

Steve

Steve G., Technician

Steve, I hope you're still on line. The Roku isn't connecting to the network either. What now??

Ok, well technically this is a completely separate question.

Please rate my first answer and we can continue. In the meantime I will grab my Roku manual. Which one did you purchase?

Steve, The model for the Roku is #2500X. This is so frustrating!

Ok, when you fire up the Roku, how far do you get through the setup procedure? Do you get to where the Roku looks for your wireless hotspot?

Yes I did, then it went to connecting to wireless,local and internet, when they lite up it went to, unable to connect to RoKu. I have checked all the plugs, everything is tight, I have a clear view to the router. Is it possiable that the 40 feet between the router and Roku is to far?

No, not at all.

Unplug power to the router for 60 seconds.

Then plug it back in and wait another 60 seconds.

Then try to connect the Roku again.

Report back.

I did as you suggested, still unable to connect.

Ok. What else is connected to that router wirelessly or otherwise?

Can you tell me the make and model of the router please?

Nothing is connected to the router,just the desk top, my wireless Tablet is getting the signal without trouble.the router is a Cisco model Linksys E1200.

Ok, does the router have wireless security turned on? In other words, is the router asking the Roku for a password?

No password needed.

Ok, how about your wireless tablet? Does that need a password to get onto the internet via the router?

Yes initally it did but I haven't had to enter it since the one time.

Ok, then you are going to need one for the Roku.

Are you sure the Roku is connecting to the right network? i.e. not one that belongs to a neighbor?

I am connecting to my network under my guest as my own isn't accepting my password.

You don't want to use the guest account. It probably wont work for the Roku.

Do you know the IP address of your router? Is it 192.168.1.1? Or did you change it?

I don't know the IP and doubt if I changed it but not positive, where can I find this?

Ok, we can find the password.

On your computer, click here: http://192.168.1.1

Leave username blank, the password is:

password

Once in, look under WIreless and then Security and see if you can find th 8 ir 10 digit encryption key.

I got into the above address but lost after that, is the encryption key the IP address? If so the last 2 numbers are 4.7 the rest is the same. I don't see wireless or security.

When you log in, do you get to an interface that looks something like this: http://screencast.com/t/n1faQDyiIZ

No I get a fairpoint connunications site, thats my Hi speed carrier.

Ok, try this: http://192.168.1.2

I tried several times but get the Internet Explorer can not find webpage, is the link address right?

Ok. So what you have is your cable modem at 192.168.1.1 and your router is at another address.

What that address is I do not know but it will start with 192.168.1.xxx

Can you try 192.168.1.3 and then 4 and the 5 etc.Eventually you will find it.

When you do, let me know.

The address you gave me is not opening what address would I use to find this number?

You said your desktop was connected to the Cisco router....

Click Start on your computer.

Type in CMD in the search bar right above the Start button.

This will open a box.

At the prompt, type in the following:

ipconfig /all

Note the space between the g and the /

What we are looking for is the Gateway address. It will be 102.168.1.xxx where xxx is a number between 1 and 255.

Tell me what it is.

I messed around with my tablet and found my password to my secure sight, the roku down loaded then refered me to roku.co/link to enter a code that it showed on the TV but there is no place to enter that code on any of the sites I tried.Help! I think we're close to success.

Ok, reboot the Roku and see if the link code is shown.

If not, now that you know your password, do a set up again.

Steve

I got the code and set up a Roku account but don't see a place to enter the code.

Ok, I found this snippet:

After you go into settings goto the "Player Info" second to last option. Then
click on "Check for Update" you will have to do this twice. It will download the
new update and restart your Roku. Once that is done it will walk you through
linking your Roku.

This is a newer Roku and I haven't seen it in action.

Can you see if that makes any sense.

Steve

I can't find settings, I went into the Roku site, my account and every other thing offered, no settings found.

Relist: Incomplete answer.

I'm sorry, I did not get an alert of your response.

I am talking about Settings on the Roku - on the TV, not the computer.

Can you try that: After you go into settings goto the "Player Info" second to last option. Then click on "Check for Update" you will have to do this twice. It will download the
linking your Roku.

Steve,Thanks sooo much, finally we are up and working, your help was just what we needed , so glad we purchased this service and you were so knowledgable. I will definately use this service again if, God forbid, I have another difficult down load like this has been. I was so close to canceling the whole Netflix hope due to DLink and Roku, they are NOT user friendly as you already know. Thank you so much. Doris

Excellent.

Have a fantastic evening with your Roku :)

Steve G., Technician