Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Samsung tv model LN40B500P3fxza that wont turn on.

I have a Samsung tv model LN40B500P3fxza that won't turn on. Screen is dead. Power cord is OK as I tried it on another Samsung TV we have. Any suggestions?

How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?

Are there any signs of life at all on the set (power light lit or blinking, click when power is pressed, etc.)?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We were gone for 3 days and when we got home today it wouldn't come in. there is no signs of life in it at all. No lights come on at all. Other things work in that outlet so it is getting power. It worked fine before we left

Thank you for the reply.

Can you tell me how old the set is?

Please disconnect the set from AC power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds. After another minute, plug the set back in and press power once. Do you still have the same problem?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The tv is about 3-4 years old. I tried the suggestion you said but it is still dead

The problem is an internal failure in the TV.

What you're having is the infamous Samsung capacitor failure. They were using sub-par caps in the power supply, which failed prematurely. Samsung has been covering this failure for all of their customers even outside of warranty.

This is the most common mode of failure for these sets.

The capacitors are located on the power board inside the set, where the AC cord plugs into. Unfortunately there is no sequence of buttons or reset you can perform to get the set working again.

Please contact Samsung at the number below to have them send a tech out to fix the problem free of charge:

1-800-SAMSUNG (1-800-726-7864)

Mon - Sun : 9am - 9pm (EST)

If you need further assistance, let me know.