Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.
329447

trying to hook up wireless headphones to emerson 32" flatscreen

trying to hook up wireless headphones to emerson 32" flatscreen tv, but don't have the correct audit-out cable; plse advise. thanks.

Hi. I'm Steve. I'm sorry to hear about your TV. I will try my best to give you a precise and accurate answer.

Yes, as you have discovered, modern TVs only have digital audio outputs. Therefore in order to use headphones, you will need to somehow convert it to analog.

A lot of my customers have purchased this device from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/D3-Digital-Converter-Optical-Toslink/dp/B005K2TXMO/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_0

This converts the digital signal from the TV to analog.

Now...you still may need a headphone amplifier. Amazon sells those too: http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Pro-PHA40-4-Channel-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B003M8NVFS/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342189871&sr=1-5&keywords=headphone+amplifier

So, plug the converter into the TV, plug the headphone amp into the converter and plug the headphone transmitter into the amp.

That should work for you.

I'll be here if you need more help.

Please rate my service. Remember, anything less than 3 stars will result in me not being compensated today for my time, knowledge and advice. We can still continue afterwards.

Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks for the input, but my tv doesn't have a round digital audio out port; the port looks to have a round plug-in with small holes near one edge and a larger opening on the other edge. my big tv does have the std digital audio out round female port.

Ok, do you have the model number of the TV so that I can pull a manual? It should be on a label on the rear somewhere.

Let me know. I think we're almost there.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll have to run over to my dgtr's apartment, get the model # XXXXX get back to you. It will take me an hour b4 I can do all that and send the info to you. Should I hang up for now? plse advise.
Just reply when you have the info in the same way as you have been doing thus far.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, I need an hdmi male (rectangular, not round) with RCA female adapter, can you help me find one?

That won't work.

You can't convert HDMI which is digital, to RCA which is analog in a cable.

Did you find out the model number of the TV? I can help you - promise. I just need that info.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the model # XXXXX XXXXX (emerson flat screen 32")

Ok, here is a sketch of the back of the TV: http://screencast.com/t/qiDllZjz5

The highlighted jack is where you will get your sound from. It is not an optical jack, it is what is called 'coaxial' but is actually just a plain old RCA jack.

My original answer to you applies. The digital to analog box can accept either an optical or a coaxial (RCA) cable. See this photo: http://screencast.com/t/r58v6Yw4e

That HDMI jack on the TV, by the way is an input not an output.

I'll be here if you need more help.

Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Steve, thanks for the research/answer! You have been professional, patient, and informative. Thanks for the expert guidance.

You are most welcome.

Stop by anytime :)

Steve