TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

My Sony rear projection tv turned off after I turned it on…

My Sony rear projection tv...
My Sony rear projection tv turned off after I turned it on this morning and now has a flashing red light under the power light.
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/8/2012
TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician

When the TV shuts itself off due to a failure, it's designed to indicate why it shut down.

Look at the flashing light...it will blink a certain number of times with a 3 second pause or the Lamp light will light up.

Your model number is XXXXX so I grabbed the nearest KF50WExxx I could find. The family/chassis should be similar whether it's a PAL or NTSC version.

graphic

, Just to confirm, it's not the power/standby light which is flashing. It's the light which is below the timer light which is constantly flashing.
Just to confirm that it is not the power/ standby light which is flashing. It's actually the light below the timer light which is flashing continuously., Just to confirm, it's not the power/standby light which is flashing. It's the light which is below the timer light which is constantly flashing.
Just to confirm that it's not the power/ standby light that is flashing. It's actually the light under the timer light which is flashing.

You really don't have to repost your response. Just answer Queues up the responses you send and other customers send, so it's like waiting in line. It takes a little time to gather info and make pictures to help you.....

So here's the response I was working on.

__________________________________________________________

What's that light labeled as ? Sony marks them, but some are white paint on silver....not the best choice of colors. Check to see if it's lamp.

If it is, open the lamp compartment and look at the lamp. I think on your model, there's a large screw/knob on the backside of the TV's "Wings" that you unscrew and pop the lower cover off the front.

graphic

The bulb inside the glass could be shattered, blackened or the reflector is coated in a milky substance (mercury) from a bad bulb.

I think that lamp/model needs an allen wrench to unscrew it.

Apologies for reporting but it kept telling me that it had failed. The light is labeled like an open box with an arrow pointing downwards into a few dots.
Hmm, that's a little cryptic...must be using a Universal Symbol for the lamp.

Did you remove the lamp and visually inspect it?
Just removed the bulb. The wire inside the bulb has been broken. Obviously that must be the problem.

Absolutely...the lamp is bad. I think that's a Sony XL-2100U lamp used in the KF series of TV sets.

This look like your lamp assembly/unit?

http://www.apexlamps.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1018&gclid=CKSgovSAirECFcHPKgod43Gc2w

If so, Google ---

A1606034B

To find lamps in your area.

I prefer buying them direct from Sony to ensure they are up to their specifications if possible.

TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician