TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Sony HDMI port not working.

The HDMI port on my...

The HDMI port on my Sony TV is not working.

What can be done?

6/30/2012
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

What is that device that is being plugged in HDMI of TV? Blu-ray, CableBox, PS3, DVD, etc.?

Did you confirm the video source in any other TV's HDMI input that isn't working in KDL46EX400 HDMI input?

Did you reset TV through TV menu?

Did you confirm the HDMI cable in this connection setup?

Where HDMI inputs of TV working before?

This info will help to diagnose the problem.

Thanks.

"What is that device that is being plugged in HDMI of TV? Blu-ray, Cable Box, PS3, DVD, etc.?"

I tried Blu-ray and Laptop.

"Did you confirm the video source in any other TV's HDMI input that isn't working in KDL46EX400 HDMI input?"

I have only one TV. However, I tried two different HDMI sources, Blu-ray and Laptop. Both them used to work fine and the likelihood that both malfunctioning is very low in my opinion.

"Did you reset TV through TV menu?"

I tried it from TV menu, unplugging the power supply and holding the up-arrow from the remote when turning the TV on (your answer t one of the previous questions), unplugging the power supply and holding the power button for 10 seconds when turning the TV on, unplugging the TV and holding the power button on for 10 seconds on each device from when the power is turned on.

"Did you confirm the HDMI cable in this connection setup?"

The TV seems to know the name of the device when it is receiving through the HDMI (it is displayed on the screen), but after 5 seconds or so, it says 'no signal'. I even opened the TV and checked if there are any loose contacts. I could not find anything wrong visually.

Okay, correct procedure to reset TV is as follows.

Please turn on the TV, press and hold down 'UP' arrow on TV remote and press the power button on the side panel of the TV.

It will turn off and back on itself with initial setup screen. Go through first setup process then connect Blu-ray in HDMI input of TV and check.

Let me know how it goes to proceed further.

Thanks.

I could reset the TV. Saw the word "Reset" on the bottom left corner of the TV and after it was done, the TV went into Auto Tune.

Still the same thing. Say the TV input was set to HDMI 1 and I just turned on the Blu-ray player that is plugged into HDMI 2, the TV automatically switches to HDMI 2 (this could be because they are both Sony), displays BD, waits for about 10 seconds and then says 'No Signal'.

I tried all four ports.

Okay, it shows that TV HDMI port is working as you get BD screen on TV but later BD player sends incompatible video resolution for some reason.

Connect BD player in the TV through AV cables (yellow-red-white) to get BD player screen on the TV and perform Reset Blu-Ray through its menu options.

Please not that the player will ask internet settings and passwords after the reset if it is used for Netflix or something similar for streaming service. So, make sure you have the password/login before resetting the player.

After resetting the BD player, connect it through HDMI cables in the TV and check.

Let me know if it worked.

I don't get the BD screen, I simply get the text 'Player 1(BD)' on the top left corner of the TV, followed by the text 'No Signal' after a few seconds.

I went ahead and reset the BD player, selected the HDMI as connection method. I still have the same issue. I know the BD player is pumping the video in HDMI since when I connect AV cable, the BD displays the message that I should see the video through HDMI connected device.

Okay, it seems HDMI inputs of the TV are not working properly to present video signal. However, the TV receives and processes control signals through HDMI port.

I would be sure of that after testing the Blu-ray player and HDMI cable on another TV.

- How old is this TV and is it still under warranty?

My TV is little more than 2 years and I already spoke to Sony. They told me that cannot do anything. They gave me the contact information for 'Norman Electronics' in Duluth, Atlanta area.

That person (I paid him $100) said that we need to replace the board and it costs about $400.00. I paid $700 for that TV and he is telling me that it needs a $400.00 repair. That is certainly not acceptable.

How common is this problem on Sony TVs?

Is there anything else I can do?

This isn't common problem in Sony LCD TVs but this can be happen.

I can provide you a source to get main board of this TV for $59 only and its replacement isn't a big deal, unplug AC cord of TV from wall outlet, take off back of TV and unplug few connectors carefully on the main board, remove screws and take it out.
Put new board, tight the screws and plug connectors in main board. Job is done.

Click Shopjimmy.com to view the main board image and price info to order it.

Hope this will help to resolve the issue, let me know if there is additional question.
Thanks.

That is great. I will replace the board. So, in your opinion will this fix the problem?

As I explained before, I will check Blu-ray player along with HDMI cable on another TV to make sure that KDL-46EX400 main board, that has 4 HDMI inputs, is bad then I'll go to replace it. Being a tech I have that opportunity in my repair shop, almost every time.

You can test your BD player at friend's TV or in neighborhood etc.
Once found BD player and HDMI cable fine then yes, go ahead and replace the board.

I found one firmware update for this TV that may resolve the problem.
Click Sony Support link to download the firmware file, extract and copy it on USB flash drive, plug it in TV to update TV firmware.
Please follow the Sony instructions written on that page for successful update. if that doesn't help then replace main board in TV.

Wish you good luck!
Thanks.

Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Thanks for the follow-up on the firmware. That is the version of firmware I have on my TV and I just re-installed it just in case. The problem was not resolved.

Now we can move forward to replace the main board in TV.
Good Luck!

featured content

HDMI port not working

High-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) ports are typically on all home theater devices. Without these present, HDMI cables cannot be used. An HDMI is an audio/video interface that allows video and data to transfer to and from a computer monitor, TV, video projector or audio device. HDMI has replaced the analog video. Below are the functions of an HDMI port.

HDMI Port

Output – HDMI ports send video and audio to projectors, TVs, and video/audio receivers. These types of devices send high-definition content protection (HDCP) which is recognized at end of the cable.

Input – HDMI is considered a shared procedure that needs communication from transferring to and from a compatible device. By doing this, the input from the port is necessary. HDMI ports are linked to the device that decodes incoming signals from the source and allowing data.

Changing devices – Linking multiple HDMI cables can be helpful when using several devices. Every source has a video and audio as well as an HDCP key. So, if ports are connected to a switcher, this can cause the signal to be lost. Switched HDMI ports are being sold, although receivers are equipped with HDMI switching ports.

HDMI troubleshooting

When connecting an HDMI cable, often connection issues can occur. Below is a list of troubleshooting tips.

1. Check cable connections – Often the HDMI connection can become loose and cause video and audio issues. These connections can slide out if the device has been moved. If this causes an issue, purchasing self-locking HDMI cables may prevent this in the future.
  2. Different turn-on order for devices – First turn the TV on, then the other HDMI source. Try switching this order around and see if a better connection is found. If switching the order did not work, with the TV and the HDMI source on, try another input. Once you have done this, check if the signal is restored. Once a correct sequence is found, write it down for help in the future.
  3. Check the device’s video resolution output setting – Check the menu for video resolution output to make sure it is set to “AUTO.” If it is, reset the setting to match the original resolution of the TV. Most resolutions are set to either 720p, 1080p or 4K.
  4. Eliminating potential causes – If an HDMI source is connected to a home theater receiver that is attached to the TV and nothing is showing on the screen, try going through potential causes.

Connect the HDMI device directly to the TV to get around the home theater receiver. If that works, the HDMI source component/home theater receiver is often the issue.  Keep the HDMI connected to the TV and create a different connection such as plugging the cable into a different port for audio. This may not be the best connection technique but will work either temporary or permanent.

If these troubleshooting tips do not work or are not persistent, check if any updates for the HDMI source is available that can help fix the issue. Also, checking to see if any customer complaints have been made against the device can figure out if this is a common problem.

Connecting a laptop/PC to TV using HDMI

When using a laptop/PC as a home theater, issues can arise when connecting the two devices. Make sure that the laptop/PC settings are selected as default for the HDMI output connection. In case the image is not showing up on the TV try the following troubleshooting techniques.

1. First, turn on the laptop/PC with the HDMI already connected to the TV that is also on.
  2. Try turning on the laptop/PC while the power to the TV is off, then turn the power on to the TV.
  3. If none of the above tips solved the problem, try turning on the laptop/PC first while the TV is turned on and then connect the HDMI to the laptop/PC and TV.  The TV VGA input may need to be used instead of an HDMI cable. 
Shahid
Shahid
Shahid, Technician