Anthony F.
Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Experience:  20+ yrs. of experience in TV repair, TV production and engineering as owner of TV service center.
34633555

my new bulb came in an hour ago and i replaced the bulb and

my new bulb came in an hour ago and i replaced the bulb and kept the original housing but after a few minutes and my tv heats up the images on the screen flash and blink and the colors are all messed up. i bought the bulb from the online store you recommended and i did touch it with bare hands as i found out too late about that part. need help
Hi!

Ok so the lamp got the tv on but we have this new issue now, is that right?

Don't worry about touching it, the lamp nor you touching it could cause this symptom.

-If you push the MENU button on the tv, does the menu show this problem too?

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.
Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes my tv will turn on and do everything i need it too until after a few minutes and i assume the bulb gets hot and thats when the issue starts. it does it no matter what channel im on or whichever input i have on at the moment. the whole screen starts flashing and jumbles the colors. i also bought a cheaper bulb off amazon to keep around as a spare and it did the same thing so i sent it back thinking it was just a bad cheap bulb but this expensive one from the place online that you recommended does the same thing
Yeah its not a lamp problem, this is something else completely.

If you push the MENU, the menu flickers too?

Tim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yeah once it gets warm even the menu screen flickers. and there is a very slight whistling sound
Is the sound from the speakers or the back of the tv?

Tim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it comes from back behind the tv and it only starts up once the flickering does. before then there is no whistling sound, they are simultaneous
Does it sound like a metal bearing failing and spining?

Tim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no its very faint, i have to mute my tv and stand next to it to even hear it. it sort of sounds like steam from a pot except uneven. continuous but not a uniform even sound. lot of different pitches
Can you get us a picture of the proble you are seeing?

TIm
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Download IMG_0575.MOV (1492.6 KB) View image.jpeg in slide show

Download

View image.jpeg in slide showthere are a couple of pictures and a video i hope you can see bc it shows the issue as i see it and lets you listen to the whistling sound coming out of the back

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
answer spread between two days offline without a response. really enjoyed him while he was attending to the problem but this is an issue i need resolved and cant wait two more days
Hello JA Customer
I have been fixing Tv and Electronics since I was 5 years old
With better than 20 years experience and 17 years in business
Yoiu have a bad COLOR WHEEL thisis very common issue
Unfortunatly in a Mitsubishi you must replace the Optical Block Light Engine assy
Color Wheels are not sold seperatly and there is no field way to align a new wheel
Go here for part
http://tvserviceparts.com/938P174010.html
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So how come it works good for a few minutes before the issue starts up? and did i hit something when installing the new bulb?
Because it heats up the bearing exspands and scrapes
no you did not you may or may not have still needed the lamp Im not sure
Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Experience: 20+ yrs. of experience in TV repair, TV production and engineering as owner of TV service center.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i changed the color wheel in the optical block but the colors still distort around after it gets hot only there is no more noise this time
Did you replace the whole optical block?
this is what you should have done
and it would covered the DMD board also there is no way to properly align a color wheel in a mitsubsihi tv
they are set at the factory and matched to the block
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i bought the whole (is it) aluminum block and just had to screw down the components to the block itself. the color wheel and lenses were already inside it i just hooked up the ribbon and other cable to the rest of it. but its the same problem i had with the color only now there is no whining sound coming from the back
can you show me what you purchased exactly?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok i'll find a picture. when i was assembling it back the only issue i ran into was the fan that sits at the front of the engine by where the bulb housing slides in, does that fan blow air towards the bulb or suck air away from it? it seemed to fit either way
its an Exhaust fan and if it is the wrong it will overheat
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so it sucks air away from the bulb?

and here is the piece i bought.

this is the old one stripped down. everything unscrewed off and onto the new version. didnt have to touch the new color wheel
yeah i cant see the piece with that link but i am wondering what you changed and what is original
Yes it EXHAUST the hot air
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mitsubishi 938P179010 Color Wheel with Housing is the description but i cant find a good picture of it. it was just the solid allow body with the color wheel inside. all i did was bolt the large plastic piece to the side where the fans and bulb housing goes and slide it all back into the back of the tv together. i'll keep looking for a picture but the ones i take with my phone of the actual piece show up as a broken link
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes except for the big optical part on top and the board with the fan in the front are both off the original part i pulled from my tv. the solid alloy block and all its inside components are new. the tv turns on for just a few minutes before the colors start to act up
ok that baord could very well be causing your issue
that is the board that drives the wheel
when the colors get funny check the tv menu and see if the colors in the menu also look (FunnY)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my menu comes up along the left side of the screen. its no different with the menu up nor if im on an hdmi input or just cable. its every area of the screen on any setting i put it to. there is no "safe zone"
ok is it funny all the time as soon you turn the tv on?
or does it happen after its been on a while
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when i turn it on it only takes it a minute or less to start acting funny. it used to take it longer but its less than 60 seconds now
check the power board for puffy capacitors
if you don't see any i highly suspect the DMD board
in the optics block
the drive may have been damaged by a bad bearing in the color wheel...
I always replace the whole block for many reasons
this is just one