TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My 50" Samsung Plasma TV, model# XXXXX has no picture,

Customer Question
even the Menu Screen....
My 50" Samsung Plasma TV, model# XXXXX has no picture, even the Menu Screen. The sound works fine and the TV turns on, but the picture is completely black.
Have checked all wiring and connections external to the unit. Everything is wired correctly going into the unit. What is the most likely cause of the malfunction? Is it worth fixing (I hear that Plasma pictures are notorious for going out quicker than other types of TVs)? Can the repair be made by a semi-experienced do-it-yourselfer?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: TV
6/5/2012
TV Technician: Jack, Technician replied 5 years ago
Jack
Jack, Technician

Jack :

Hi and welcome to justanswer.
I`m going to help you with your tv but first i will have a few questions;

If you look at your tv screen in a dark room , can you see a flicker on the screen when you turn on the tv ?

Customer:

Yes, and the light at the bottom of the screen also comes on (external to the screen).

Jack :

O.k then i may have some way to repair this although this can indicate a defective plasma panel.

Customer:

ok, I was afraid of that...expensive?

Jack :

I will upload a samsung repair bulletin that are given only to repair shops , this could cost ypou a fuse or it could mean the end for your tv i`m afraid.

Jack :

Be back shortly with that bulletin

Jack :
Customer:

Yes, I have not heard good things about Samsung Plasmas

Jack :

Did you wish to take a look into this yourself ?
If so then that bulletin will come in handy or it could prove to be very usuful to a tech.

Customer:

Yes, if it is fixable, inexpensively, then I would like to take a shot at it.

Jack :

Click the link in blue for that bulletin "CLICK ME"

Jack :

This bulletin shows a fuse on the "buss board" , the company suggest that the plasma panel is gone if the fuse is blown but i have seen cases where replacing the fuse will do the trick

Jack :

The fuse is that small white rectangular shape in the blown up picture, it is a surface mount ceramic fuse , sorry but not exactly easy to replace.

Jack :

That is why you may need the help of a local tech. , be back with the value of that fuse

Customer:

OK, so if I understand this correctly....check all ribbon connections and then check fuse to see if it is blown...if it is blown, where is the best place to order the buss board from?

Jack :

It also says 'do not replace the buss board"

Jack :

The only thing you can try is to replace that 5 amps ceramic picofuse

Customer:

Sorry, I meant a panel...switching screens back and forth to view and chat. Can I change panel or are you suggesting a "tech only" job at that point?

Jack :

Actually the only hope you have at this point is to try out that fuse, as i said it did the trick a few times for me , otherwise you are looking at a very expensive part that would make it not worthwhile to repair and that is if you could find that plasma panel.

Customer:

OK, did you check the price and/or where to get fuse?

Jack :

As a rule of thumb , the panel cost 3/4 of the price of a new tv and you have to completely strip down the tv and then adjust the new panel to the present circuitry

Jack :

The best place to find that fuse would be local repair shops .
But you have to keep in mind that it is soldered to that small board and not very easy to replace

Customer:

I believe I can unsolder and resolder....is it just hard to get to?

Jack :

It will be right there in front of you once you have the back cover removed , take it out and bring it with you to a local repair shop so they might give you the correct replacement, as i said this is a 5 amps fuse

Jack :
Jack :

You can see in the picture where it is located

Customer:

Ok, I see it...can we leave this open until I can open TV and see if I have any other questions?

Jack :

No problem but in any case you can come back to this post anytime you wish and also you will receive an email after this chat is closed and there will be a link to get back to me anytime or you can just send a reply here if you have any questions and i will be with you ASAP.

Jack :
Jack :

Do you have a meter to test it first ?

Customer:

Hey, thanks a lot. Thought I might have a boat anchor on my hands, but I wanted to exhaust all possible remedies before chunking it in the LAKE....HA!

Customer:

I DO have a meter....am I just checking ohms?

Jack :

correct

Jack :

0 ohms is good otherwise blown

Customer:

Ok, I will try that and ribbon connections and let you know...

Jack :

O.k then , have fun and i`ll be here :)

Customer:

THANKS again!

Jack :

No problem, you`re welcome you can close this chat from your end with the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with my answer and have no other questions at this time.

Jack
Jack, Technician
Jack
Jack
Jack, Technician