Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.
329447

I have a Maganavox TV with DVD player. I think what has happened

I have a Maganavox TV with DVD player. I think what has happened is that our granddaughter put in a DVD on top of another. We get an error message after attempting to load. We are unable to eject the DVD(s) by using the remote or the TV. Do you have a suggestion for us. We are not very electronically savvy, unfortuntely. My email address [email protected]

Hi. I'm Steve. I'm sorry to hear about your TV. I will try my best to give you a precise and accurate answer.

Unfortunately, if there are two discs in there, and they are stuck, the only way to fix it is to open up the TV and manually retrieve the discs from the DVD mechanism.

Try this first though. Is there a pinhole on the DVD tray? If so, you may be able to to force it open by inserting a paperclip into the hole and pushing.

Let me know how you want to proceed. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.Please be sure to indicate if my answer was helpful.

Thanks very much.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the quick response. There is no pinhole, Steve. In order to open up the TV, is this something that would have to be done at a repair shop or in home by an expert?

If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, the cheapest way would be to take it to a shop rather than have them come to you.

If you give me your zip code I'll find someone in your neck of the woods.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is it something that you recommend a layman to attempt? My husband is on a fixed income, so it would be great if he could try it first. If not, my zip code is 24090.

I would need the full model number of the TV in order to give you directions.

You could try Atomic TV in Roanoke. The number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

They may be able to give you a quote over the phone - keep in mind that today is Sunday.

I'll be here if you need more help. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.Please be sure to indicate if my answer was helpful.

Thanks very much.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Steve, we greatly appreciate your help. This is great service. My husband looked at the back of the TV, and the model # XXXXX XXXXX If you can provide directions, my hsuband can try and if there are any problems we can contact Atomic TV on Monday.

Ok, I'm having a little trouble finding that model but I do know it is a flat panel LCD TV.

The first thing to do would be to lay it down flat on a thick towel or blanket.

Then remove the base which should be 4 screws.

The back is attached by 6-8 screws which should be relatively obvious. Once removed, the back should lift off. Nothing will fall out.

Once you have done that, you may be able to simply force the DVD tray open and remove the discs.

Thanks very much.

Steve