TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

We had a power outage and now none of the 3 HDMI ports on my…

Customer Question
We had a power outage...
We had a power outage and now none of the 3 HDMI ports on my LG TV work, I've tried multiple cables, that work on another LG TV. I've tried the shutdown, unplug, plug back in one step at a time scenario, but nothing seems to work. I did not shutdown for a long period...only for a few seconds, maybe thats the problem? Also, the TV does recognize when a device is plugged in and turned on, but then can't find signal after trying to connect.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: TV
5/17/2012
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 6 years ago
Aric, Technician

Can you please get me the model number off the back of the TV?

Also, how old is the set?

Hi, Model # XXXXX and it's about 3 years old.

I understand that you've tried unplugging the set, but please try the steps below specifically, and let me know if there's any change.

Please disconnect the set from AC power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds. After another minute, plug the set back in and press power once. Do you still have the same problem?

Hi, tried it, same thing "no signal"

Unfortunately this is a common mode of failure and the HDMI inputs have shorted and failed. HDMI is very finicky as it is the only connection that carries 5 volts of Bus power down the cable to transmit the signal. It is prone to failure from slight surges (even with a surge protector), Arcs from within the jack, or a cable that has failed. Unfortunately there are no settings, or buttons you can change to allow the HDMI jacks working again. You will need to have the Mainboard on the TV replaced (It houses the HDMI jacks and the AV connections). Average cost for this type of repair is around $275 parts and labor. You can use the link below to locate a service center in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com/

Aric, Technician