TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a Magnavox 42MF439B TV it is stuck in standby mode.

I have pushed the power...
I have a Magnavox 42MF439B TV it is stuck in standby mode. I have pushed the power button on the remote it did nothing. I even changed the batteries in remote and tried again and got nothing. What do I need to do to fix this? TV it is only 2 years old and cost about $1100.00 new.
5/12/2012
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Thanks for the question!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have a couple quick questions for you:

1. Is the standby LED illuminated?
2. Does it flash, change color, or turn off when you try to power on?

Best,

1. Yes. Red.

2. NO.

Ok. Do you plan to repair this yourself, or are you just trying to figure out what may be wrong and if it's worth professional repair? If you want to do it yourself, do you own and know how to operate a voltmeter?
I plan on repairing it myself. Yes, own a voltmeter, but don't really know how to operate it.
The first thing we need to do is disconnect the power cord from the wall, and let the TV sit for 5 minutes. Now, remove the TV's rear panel. Now, trace that power cord to a circuit card inside the TV... that's the power supply. Have a good close look at the board, paying particularly close attention to the capacitors. Are any of them puffy on top, like the ones in the picture below (red arrows)? Note, this is not a picture of your TV... just an example of puffy capacitors.

No puffy capacitors.
Ok, now we'll need to measure the DC voltages coming off the power supply board.

To do this, look closely at the board for a couple multi pin connectors. Set your meter to DC voltage (200V range is fine), then put your red lead on each pin leaving of those multi pin connectors one at a time, with your black lead grounded to any exposed chassis metal. Stick that red lead down into the connector so the lead makes contact with the pin.

The TV will need to be plugged in, but doesn't need to be powered on. Let me know what you're measuring.

Are you talk about the connectors that connect the Inverter Power board to the other boards? If not I don't see any multi pin connectors.
Yes.
Ok it has three pins First pin 40.0, Second pin -39.9, and Third pin -39.7
Are you using an analog meter, or digital? You shouldn't have 40V anywhere in the TV. Are there labels on the board, next to the connector?
I'm using a digital meter. the label next to the connector is CN1501.
There are two other multi pin connectors at the top of the board. Got no readings off any of the pins in these connectors. They are labeled CN1083 & CN1084.
Relist: Other.
I need someone who can answer my questions now not later. This way I can order the part I need to fix my TV.
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Hi! happy to help, looks like Dan is not in today.

Do you have your meter set to AC or DC?

Tim
DC
What are you using as ground? It is impossible to get 40v out of that power supply, the most it puts out is 24v.

Tim
The sheet metal in the TV.
Can you get me a picture of the tv with the back off? (if you can post a picture, please click the icon above, where you are typing, of the paper clip. This will allow you to upload a picture)

Tim

graphic
OK i need the DC voltages from all those diodes where I put the red circles.
Also I need the voltage on each pin of the connectors in yellow.

I need DC voltages, none of which will be over 24v.

You can use any of the metal on the back for ground, I put a blue box to show an example.

I do not need to know what voltage is where, just a list like:
14v
7v
20v
etc.

Tim

graphic

Here we go yellow sqaure 9.8v and 7.6v.

Red circles are as follows

.6v

.0v

.9v

2.0v

.0v

.0v

.0v

.0v

.0v

.0v

.0v

And when you hit the power button nothing at all changes?

Tim

I just hit the power button and here is what I got

yellow square 12.8v and 11.2v

red circles as follows

3.6v

5.2v

6.1v

5.9v

12.8v

12.8v

38.6v

38.6v

15.8v

15.8v

15.8v

You get nothing on the screen and the power light does not change color?

Tim

Ok. I had it laying on a blanket to keep from scatching the screen. I sat it up and hit the power button a green light blinked 6 times and when solid. Then the screen coame up component. Try it with a dvd and the picture and sound are working. Thank you.

Colt

Gotta be kidding that is crazy, great news...Have you played with any connectors in the tv?

Tim
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
I only touched what you and Dan told me to check and touch.
Ok well let me know if it keeps working.

Tim
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician