TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Denon 3808CI, when I change channels on direct TV the receiver

Customer Question
cannot find signal until I...
Denon 3808CI, when I change channels on direct TV the receiver cannot find signal until I manually turn the receiver source knob away from TV/SAT then back before it finds signal. happens every time I change channels on Direct TV.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: TV
5/2/2012
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 5 years ago
Nathan, Installer

p0llinate :

Hello, I would like to assist you with your question today. Please remember to click ACCEPT after you are satisfied so I get credit for my time.

p0llinate :

This is usually a HDCP over hdmi issue.

p0llinate :

Please try rebooting the directv box by unplugging power to it for 60 seconds.

Customer:

Already tried resetting Direct TV box with the red reset button, I think the problem is in the receiver.

p0llinate :

If you connect the dtv directly to the tv via hdmi, do you have any issues?

Customer:

I will try that

p0llinate :

I would also still suggest doing a hard reset (unplugging power for a few minute) of the dtv, the reset button just tells the system to power cycle, but isn't always enough to clear the memory and get past some issues.

Customer:

Stay tuned, I will try these thing tomarrow night, getting to late to try tonight.

p0llinate :

No problem, take your time and post back to the chat here when you have a chance to. I'll get an email alert when you respond here.

Customer:

Direct TV HDMI cable to TV HDMI in works just fine. I will try reset of microprocessor on AV Receiver tomarow, do you think that would be a good possible.

Customer:

Any other ideas before resetting processor.

Customer:

Tried hard reset of microprocessor on Denon 3808CI, no success in solving issue.

p0llinate :

Thank you for the update, I'd suggest trying the reset process a few more times, sometimes it can take 2-3 times before the reset shows any effect. Please give it another go, and let me know if that cahnges at all.

p0llinate :

If that still doesn't help, this is likely a hdcp or edid issue.

p0llinate :

Something to try in that case is to power everything off completely. Start up the tv first, then the receiver, then the directv. This makes sure the dtv can identify the display and communicate with it properly.

p0llinate :

If that still doesn't help, it may still be the dtv at fault, and I'd contact directv to request they replace/exchange your unit to help isolate the issue. If that still doesn't help, then it's likely a fault in the hdmi board in the receiver, which is likely past warranty coverage at this point and would be an expensive repair. If that's the case, I'd suggest running hdmi directly from the sat to the tv, with an optical cable from sat or tv back to the denon for audio as a workaround.

Customer:

Spoke with Denon tech and he said it sounds like a CEC HDMI control issue and suggested turning off the Anynet feature on the Samsung TV, and the Denon receiver, don't know if the DTV receiver has this to turn off. Will tackle tonight, might have to use workaround if I give up.

p0llinate :

I agree, this may help and is worth trying. DTV does not usually have a function for this, just the denon and tv will. It will be called hdmi control on the denon, and anynet+ on the samsung.

p0llinate :

If it doesn't work, then you can use the workaround I mentioned with the direct connection to tv from dtv and optical back to denon.

Customer:

Tried all the above items and still no success so I'm using the workaround, kind of annoying not having the receiver volume displayed on the TV when I adjust volume levels. Do you have any idea what a ballpark cost would be to repair or replace the HDMI board then ?

Customer:

I can decided if I should repair?

Customer:

Thanks for your help, I will hit the Accept button upon your reply.

p0llinate :

I'm sorry for the delay, I didn't get an alert that you had responded until just now.

p0llinate :

I'd put the hdmi board replacement around $250-300 (installed). You'd need to take it to an authorized Denon service center as that's the only place the parts would be available.

p0llinate :

Have you tried updating the firmware on the receiver at all?

Customer:

The firmware is up to date, last release was 10/2008 which I have. I spoke with a repair tech from a very reputable local company and one that I have complete confidence in said he could repair the Denon which he said is an excellent unit and worth repairing. He actually suggested a different workaround which will restore the lost volume display and not lose any picture quality by going to component video cables from DTV to Denon to TV rather than HDMI. only difference is 1080p is not carried on component video but neither is it carried by DTV. Blu Ray still needs HDMI and I'm fine with that since switching source on Denon is not an issue. What are your thoughts on this?

p0llinate :

The otherwork around is certainly an option, I didn't suggest it because as he mentioned, you'd lose 1080p and be downgraded to 1080i. It is true that you won't generally get 1080p on dtv anyway (though some newer model receivers with 3d programming can)

p0llinate :

You'll have some inconvenience with this method if you're going to use hdmi for bluray as you'll have to switch between inputs (component and hdmi) on the tv itself to get the different outputs, as the receiver can't downconvert the hdmi intput of bluray out to component.

Customer:

Not really that inconvenient because changing signal inputs on the TV can be done with the remote if I leave the HDMI cables connected from Blu Ray to Denon to TV. If it is too inconvenient down the road, it may be worth fixing since the cost of the Denon was $800.

Nathan, Installer
Nathan, Installer