Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Philips 42 inch Plasma. Will not turn on. Red light blinks

Philips 42 inch Plasma. Will not turn on. Red light blinks 7 times, stops and repeats. Tried unpluging for a period. Plug in, green light comes on, blinks out in about 30 seconds, starts blinking red light 7 times, stops, then repeats.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.
Can you please get me the model number off the back of the TV?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
B-M-42PF7320A/37
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?

Was it after a storm or power outage?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

6 YRS.

YESTERDAY

NO POWER OUTAGE/STORM

Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Please disconnect the set from AC power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds. After another minute, plug the set back in and press power once. Do you still have the same problem?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
YES/ RED LIGHT STILL BLINKS 7 TIMES. i WONDERED IF THE SERIES OF REPETIVE BLINKS WAS A CODE INDICATING THE PROBLEM WITH THE SET?
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Yes it is an error code which points in the general direction of the problem, but it is not specific as to which board needs to be replaced. These codes are not known for being accurate.

This problem can happen due to several things. The power supply is a common cause of this problem. The capacitors on this board can swell and bulge due to receiving a surge, and can cause a voltage drop on one of the outputs on the PS. This typically will cost you $150 to have repaired.

The other very common issues, are problems with the Y Sustain, and Z Sustain boards failing. They are responsible for lighting the Plasma display and are common failures for this type of TV. The voltages need to be measured by an experience professional between the power supply and these boards, and also from the boards to the Plasma Panel. Average cost for this type of repair is around $450 parts and labor.

If these boards test good, then the problem is the Plasma Panel itself which will mean you need to get a new TV. The cost to replace the Plasma panel will exceed the cost of the TV itself, as the panels are very expensive and very labor intensive to replace.

I wish I had better news, but the set will require component level testing and replacement in order to function properly again.

You can locate a tech using the link below:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com/

If you need further assistance, let me know.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!