TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

just replaced power supply board in my LG TV model# XXXXX

Customer Question
TV come on find but...
just replaced power supply board in my LG TV model# XXXXX TV come on find but the picture blinks on and off?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: TV
4/20/2012
TV Technician: alr3d, Technician replied 5 years ago
alr3d
alr3d, Technician

Are you able to test some voltages in the tv for me?

Allan

YES

do you have the back off? if so send me a few pictures. here is a link to show you how to send them.

http://screencast.com/t/6nsH2sPRZGQ

Allan

Having problem trying to take pictures cannot find down load cord for camera.sorry

can you do it on the cell phone?

Allan

ok before we start. how often is the picture blinking>? and do the tv`s menus blink also?

Allan

The picture blinks about 2to3 sec.The menus blink also.

ok

the upper right of your power supply has two connectors. look at the DC voltage on each line and see if one of them is not steady.

let me know what you find?

you can use the metal part of the back of the panel as ground.

Allan

all the voltages are steady.One thing i did notice was a jumper wire from on the right side from the top connector to the bottom of heat sink on right , the wire is black dont know if you can see in picture?This only big difference in boards i can see?

does the sound go on and off also?

Allan

no sound say on

send me a picture of all the boards so i can point out something for you to check. just one picture. a backed up view.

Allan

I though I did the one off the tv is the old one .The one on the tv is the new board?

no i need to see a view of all the boards in the tv. one view with back off of all boards, so step 3 ft away and take a pix

Allan

ok i have marked a spot on the bottom right of the panel. here you can see the back light . tell me if the back light blinks on and off as the picture on the front does?

Allan

Yes it blinks the same

ok see green box i made and with tv off unhook this wire. be careful it has clips that squeeze to unhook. turn on tv. there will be no picture but tell me if the back light comes on and tell me if it blinks?

Allan

it doesnt show a green box
Unhook wire screen still blinks & light blinks

this is odd. i will have to get a manual. but i have to run somewhere so it will be a few hours and i will get back to you

Allan

ok later
i am back
any clue
for give me. i got back and am hammered with questions. let me download a manual now
Ok take time

ok

where did you get your power supply board from?

Allan

also do you know how to solder?

MCM Electronics XXX-XXX-XXXX yes I can solder

this is a odd issue unless you got a bad board or your panel is bad. what i was going to suggest is we fix the old board....

let me know what you think?

Ok. But how the 1st problem was it took time for the tv tocome on.Then it would not come on at all.I talk with another tv guy he said to replace the board? He tried only replaceing the capasitor and failed. You beleve I have bad new board?

it is hard to say. the power board also feeds the inverters and that lights the back light and your are turning on and off so i think it is a power issue. but again it is a hard call. i fix these boards all the time by just replacing the bad caps...

also in some cases when this power board goes bad it can damage the main board,but i have never seen a main board have control of the back light only the sound and video. the manual does not show us all the info we need to figure this out so we kinda play the guessing game a little here. if we fix your board and it does the same thing we will know we have a bad main... but i have got bad boards from MCM before so it is a hard call.

Allan

ps

i am leaving in 20 mins but will be back about 12am east coast and work till 1:30am then all day tomorrow

Ok were do we start?

replace the bad caps. i have marked what i can see bad.

Replace the marked caps with ones from new board?

well we could but then you cannot return that board... so that is up to you

Allan

I think I would like to return this board & buy new caps. I think they are all 10 volt 2200uf caps is this correct?

i think you are right. but check the side of the cap to be 100% sure.

Allan

Ordered caps online , maybe be here may 5th ?
i do not see one in the picture.
Louie, Technician