TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have an rca HDTV that is 6 years old and the screen looks…

Customer Question
I have an rca HDTV...
I have an rca HDTV that is 6 years old and the screen looks like it is 3 D
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: TV
4/10/2012
TV Technician: Steve G., Technician replied 6 years ago
Steve G., Technician

Hi. I'm Steve. I'm sorry to hear about your TV. I will try my best to give you a precise and accurate answer.

As you have suspected, you have a problem with your convergence circuit. This is very very common in older projection TVs like yours - maybe the #1 problem.

The TV has three color tubes in the lower half of the cabinet that project an image off the main mirror and onto the back of the screen. The convergence circuit processes the signals to the tubes and adjusts the light beams so that the red, blue and green images all line up. When the circuit fails, the light beams don't line up and you get the '3D' image with the separated colors and bowing near the edges.

The convergence circuit usually has two main components called convergence amplifiers (some call them STKs or convergence ICs). They can fail. It is also common for some pico fuses or fusible resistors associated with the STKs on the board to blow.

You have a few choices:

1. Some people have fixed this themselves. You should have a basic understanding of soldering and would need soldering tools (Radio Shack - $20). Here is what is involved - it will give you an idea although it is not an RCA: http://cmpalmer.blogspot.com/2006/11/fixing-my-own-tv-part-ii.html

You can buy the kit for your TV here: www.tvrepairkits.com

The kit includes all the components and step by step instructions. About $70. Many of my customers have done this and been successful.

2. You can try and find a rebuilt board on sites like www.shopjimmy.com and elsewhere. This would probably cost around $200-$300 and you would need to pull the old one out and put the new one in.

3. You can have it professionally repaired. This would probably cost around $400 or more. You should solicit the services of an authorized repair shop in your area.

I'm sorry it isn't the best news.

I'll be here if you need more help. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.

If happy, please remember to 'Accept' and/or give me a positive rating so that I am compensated for my time and effort. If you don't, I won't.

Please bookmark my web page at www.stevetheguru.com so that you can contact me with your future electronic questions.

Thanks very much.

Steve

Steve G., Technician