Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have purchased an RCA universal remote (RCRPO5B). I have

I have purchased an RCA universal remote (RCRPO5B). I have a Sanyo Vizon. I can get the remote to turn the TV on and off, control volume, change inputs and so forth. I can not get the remote to map the cable channels. I pull up menu on the TV but the "OK" key on the remote will not work to tell the TV to map the cable channels. Any thoughts?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 years ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, I would like to assist you with your question today. Please remember to click ACCEPT after you are satisfied so I get credit for my time.

p0llinate :

Can you give me the full model number of the sanyo?

Customer:

It just says Vizon Integrated HD TV??

Customer:

Wait found the book... DP26647

p0llinate :

If you look on the back, there should be a sticker with a model and serial number.

p0llinate :

Yep, thats it, thanks.

p0llinate :

Just a moment while I look you up.

p0llinate :

It looks like 1142 is the IR code for this specific model tv.

p0llinate :

It is possible, however, that no matter what code is used, your remote will not be able to control the devices you wish to use it with. Basic universal remote manufacturers include basic functionality for common devices at the time the remote is made, but are not able to provide coverage for every make and model, and are not able to update for every new device that comes out, so there is no guarantee of compatibility.

Your best option may be to purchase a true universal remote to control all of your devices, such as a logitech harmony (click here for example) that will work for all of your devices. It is programmed through an easy to use software program on your computer, which downloads the most up to date remote and device codes from the internet, so it is virtually guaranteed to work with all equipment. It will also give you easy to use macro functionality, so you can press a single button to watch a movie for example, and it will turn on the dvd player, tv, and surround system, tune to the correct inputs on the tv, and start the movie playing, etc. Because of the online database with specific codes for each model, this type of remote has much greater functionality than the basic universal remotes that you program based on a book of outdated manufacturer codes.

Customer:

I used a code that was successful in powering the TV on and off and doing other functions.

Customer:

Do I have to go through another process to program the cable channels??

p0llinate :

I realize that, but this may be a hardware incompatibility between your particular remote and this tv. Often basic universal remotes will work for some functions, but not others.

p0llinate :

Do you mean to do the auto program (having tv scan for available channels) or just to change channels after programming?

p0llinate :

If the OK button isn't working, it's likely because the factory remote didn't have an ok or enter button.

p0llinate :

Try navigating the menu from the front panel of the tv. Press the menu button, and then usually using channel up/down to navigate the menu, and volume up/down to select the different options.

Customer:

Oh. So how do I press "enter" on the screen menu?

Customer:

That's the problem. THe TV does not have options on it for that. It's only power, volume, and input keys.

p0llinate :

If you hit the menu button again on the remote, does it just exit the menu?

Customer:

yes

p0llinate :

Your only options at this point will be to try a different universal remote that contains the full code set functionality, or to obtain a replacement factory remote.

p0llinate :

You can get a factory remote here: http://remotes.com/store/sanyo/dp26647.html

p0llinate :

You could also try looking for a used one on ebay.

Customer:

Thank you

p0llinate :

These remotes are expensive at around $50, but it's still less than a $150 logitech which would be the alternative.

p0llinate :

If you have any other questions, let me know. Otherwise please remember to click on accept to close out our chat today.