TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have a 57 inch mitsubishi DLP 1080p tv and have gone

Customer Question
through 5-6 bulbs (915P049010) since...
i have a 57 inch mitsubishi DLP 1080p tv and have gone through 5-6 bulbs (915P049010) since I bought it 3 years ago. The bulbs still look like they should work, but picture wont come on unless I replace bulb. Also even with the new bulb, it takes for ever for TV to turn on and then has a message that says I need to hit any button on remote otherwise TV will turn off.... and it will. Any thoughts or advice?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: TV
3/1/2012
TV Technician: Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center replied 6 years ago
Anthony F.
Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Anthony's TV :

Hello JA Customer I have been fixing Tv and Electronics since I was 5 years old With better than 20 years experience and 17 years in business

Anthony's TV :

Where are you buying the lamps from?

Customer:

Frys and a local tv store

Anthony's TV :

are they mits original lamps?

Anthony's TV :

what did you pay for them?

Customer:

Yes. But last one was from Phillips

Anthony's TV :

this lamp is a special lamp

Anthony's TV :

its 179.00 from mitsubishi

Anthony's TV :

no other lamp will work right

Anthony's TV :

the ignition voltage is lower than all other brands

Anthony's TV :

put your model number in and buy from here

Anthony's TV :

or your tv will never work right

Customer:

Hmm. I will check them out, but not sure the bulb is the problem per se. They don't exibit any signs of being burned out, including the Mits ones. Something is causing them or the TV to not work right. I can buy a new bulb (Mits or Philips) and it will work for 3-4 months then the tv won't turn on out of the blue until I replace the bulb. At $150 - $200 a pop this is starting to get expensive and frustrating. Sorry, but I was looking for something more insightful, new, or a trend with this type of tv that can be fixed. I already know that I gotta keep replacing bulbs to make it work until I find the root of the real problem or get a new TV.

TV Technician: Frank the tv man, Technician replied 6 years ago
Frank the tv man
Frank the tv man, Technician
I agree that you need to use an actually replacement lamp from the manufacturer but there are a few other things that might shorten your lamp life. Have you ever notice the lamp to come on while the TV is off? Have you ever seen a message that the air flow is blocked and the TV will shut off?
No I have not seen the lamp come on when TV is off and have tried to vaccum the air ducts to make sure they are dust free.
There is a service bulletine about the lamp becoming damaged due to components on the Power PCB. I would try replacing the power supply along with the lamp. Please make sure the lamp is an actually Mits replacement lamp. Here is a link to the power supply.

http://www.shopjimmy.com/mitsubishi-934c228001-power-supply-unit.htm
Please accept if you are satisfied with my answer
I have not been able to purchase the power supply unit you described and still don't know that that is the problem as it takes several months for the TV not to work.
You can accept my answer and feel free to repost on this question.