TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I purchased a Magnavox Digital Video Disc Recorder & Video…

Customer Question
I purchased a Magnavox Digital...
I purchased a Magnavox Digital Video Disc Recorder & Video Cassette Recorder,
Serial # U49066692 Model # ZV427MG9 A. I was told it was not compatable with my TV setup because I don't have a cable box, which I'm assuming is a tuner. I've looked online and have seen several tuners ranging in price from 2k to 30 dollars. Can I purchase one of these tuners so I can use my recorder?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: TV
2/28/2012
TV Technician: Louie, Technician replied 6 years ago
Louie, Technician
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance...

Initially, post back with the model number of the TV; or better yet, please describe the available jacks, ports and/or connector(s) of the TV. Additionally, is the TV directly connected to an antenna or cable feed? Or is there a satellite receiver or a digital-to-analog converter (set-top-box)?

Offhand, an external tuner is only required if you would want to record TV programs but not when just playing back a DVD disc or a VHS tape.

TV model number is: VIZIO VW37L HDTV30A 120V, 3.1A, 50/60Hz

Serial# *****

TV is cable fed, no satellite, no converter,

I would like to record programs and play back DVD's and VHS tapes.

I understand and appreciate the additional information.

For playback purposes, an HDMI connection from the Maganvox's HDMI OUT to the Vizio's HDMI 1 is required.

To record cable TV programs, an external/add-on tuner is needed. Please click HERE to inquire/consider. This tuner is capable of receiving digital QAM cable TV signals. These cable TV signals are them outputted as composite video and L & R audio signals that may then be connected to the Magnavox's L1 IN-VIDEO + IN-AUDIO L & R.
I purchased the tuner you suggested and I am waiting for it to come in. Ill let you know how it works for me, if indeed it will work.
I understand and appreciate the update.

I fully intend to accept your answer as soon as I receive the tuner you suggested and try it. If it works with my recorder, I will accept your answer immediately.

Sincerely,

JoEllen

I understand and appreciate the update.
I got the tuner and hooked it up according to instructions. Im trying to figure out how to record.
Appreciate the update.

Would suggest to connect the external tuner temporarily direct to the TV. This way:
  • the tuner could be tested;
  • scanned/programmed.

Thereafter, connect the tuner to the L1 jacks of the Magnavox.

Incidentally, how would you want the recording to be; DVD or VHS?
Louie, Technician
I would like to be able to use the recorder to its full capacity: record tv programs on to cassettes and record DVD's from cassettes.
Was the new tuner tested when directly connected to the Vizio?

Are you able to playback both DVD discs and VHS tapes from the Magnavox/Vizio?

The only channels I can get are HD channels. I tried getting the tuner to program cable channels, but I dont know how. Right now the tuner and TV are connected with a HDMI cable and the red, yellow and white cables according to the instructions. I will next try to connect the tuner and TV with only the red, yellow and white cables to see if I can get cable channels, which are local channels. I did not test the tuner connected directly to the TV.

No, I am not able to get the Magnavox to record at all.

The yellow, red & white from the tuner would have to be connected to the INput jacks of the Magnavox:
  • yellow - IN-VIDEO;
  • white - IN-AUDIO L; and
  • red - IN-AUDIO R;
  • the Magnavox would have to be set to L1.