TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

cannot get a signal when i plug hdmi cable to my cable box.

Customer Question
Just purchased lg50pv4000 and on...
cannot get a signal when i plug hdmi cable to my cable box. Just purchased lg50pv4000 and on initial setup the hdmi connection worked. When i added my blu ray player as my # XXXXX hdmi source I went back to #1 and could no longer receive signal. I get a signal when i use component cables.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: TV
2/12/2012
TV Technician: TV Tech1, Technician replied 6 years ago
TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician

Motorola cable box ?

Or Scientific Atlanta ?

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD.

Ok, we have had HDMI connection problems with both the Motorola and Scientific Atlanta boxes operating reliably with the various TV models out there.

There is an HDMI reset procedure that may establish the connection.

You'll have to unplug both the TV and cable box's power cord for 5 minutes. Disconnect the Cable box's HDMI cable. Plug the power cords back in, and turn the TV and Cable box on.

Wait one minute, then reconnect the HDMI cable. The two units should handshake with each other and re-establish a brand new HDMI connection.

I have seen hundreds of the Motorola and Scientific Atlanta boxes lose the HDMI in them. I even had to replace mine 3 times, and finally when it failed the last time, I switched over to Component cable and never had any problems with it since then.

My suggestion....Keep the Component cables connected, because you're going to need it.

It's not your TV causing the problem. Your DVD isn't having any problems.

If you have any questions, just ask

If you are finished, please press the ACCEPT button.

Tips are greatly appreciated !

Thank you.

TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Didn't work. I just do t understand how that connection worked when I originally hooked up the tv then I switched to add another input then when ident back no signal. Do you think 8300 needs to be repaired?

I have NEVER trusted those to be reliable.

Let's TEST ...

DVD works fine???

If so, plug it into the TV's HDMI that the cable box is connected to and see if it's recognized or not.

Then check the Cable box on more than one HDMI input and see if it works or not.

The problem will either STAY with the TV's HDMI input, or it will stay with the cable box.

Did that. Has to be cable box.

Yeah, that's what I thought...your TV is way to NEW to be bad. I've had HDMI get scrambled and the HDMI reset I had you do would have resolved that.

But when it comes down to it, the cable boxes don't have the world's BEST HDMI transmitters in them. The good news....Your Component outputs on that box does deliver RELIABLE High Defiinition signal to your TV set.

And I've had 3 boxes in my own home that the HDMI worked fine, failed months later. On the 3rd one...I just switched over to component cable and I have NEVER had a problem with it. HDMI just wasn't worth using it. Now I have a Hughes box. They seem to work ok.

Anyways, if you have a set of component cables, you should consider connecting the box up with Component, then when your HDMI goes bad, switch over to component input.

Now, you may say "but I heard HDMI is better than component". It is, but not by MUCH.

I did a comparison of HDMI vs Component in a side-by-side. I saw only ONE difference.

The veins in a LEAF on HDMI, I could count 7. The veins on Component -- 5.

The smallest veins were there, but not distinct.

I don't watch TV to look at the leaves...I watch the TV show as a whole.

HD still looks HD no matter what cable is used.

And Thanks for accepting, I appreciate that.

TV Tech1
TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician