TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

42" Vizio HDTV: HDMI inputs not working; antenna input works

Customer Question
My Vizio 42" HD TV...

My Vizio 42" HD TV is not working via the HDMI circuitry. There are 4 HDMI inputs. The blue screen reads: No Signal.

However, when I connected the Vizio TV to the cable set-top box via an "antenna" input, I got TV reception.

Can you offer any suggestions for me to try?

Optional Information:
Make: Vizio
Model: HDTV 42" 1080P

Already Tried:
I tried pulling each plug and HDMI cable and resetting them. Contacted the local cable provider and the cable signal is excellent.

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: TV
2/7/2012
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 5 years ago
Aric, Technician

Can you please get me the model number off the back of the TV?

Additionally, how long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?

Have you tried another HDMI cable?

Good morning. I am presently at work an do not have the specific TV model number with me. However, the HDMI cable are "Monster Cables" of high quality and less than a year old. Two weeks ago, the TV set worked fine. There have been no power outages or surges. Again, the TV reception is OK when connected via antenna input and cable, but not HDMI.

The brand Monster Cable does not mean that the cable is foolproof- they fail just as often as standard $10 HDMI cables. From the term "cables" I assume that you've tried more than one and get the same problem correct?

If so, this is a common mode of failure and the HDMI inputs have shorted and failed. HDMI is very finicky as it is the only connection that carries 5 volts of Bus power down the cable to transmit the signal. It is prone to failure from slight surges (even with a surge protector), Arcs from within the jack, or a cable that has failed. Unfortunately there are no settings, or buttons you can change to allow the HDMI jacks working again. The HDMI circuit on the mainboard will need to be replaced. This is typically a dealer only part and would need to be swapped by a service center. Most repair shops will opt to replace the Mainboard in the set (board that routes all of the AV signals to the TV). Average cost for this type of repair is $275 parts and labor. You can use the link below to locate a service center in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com/

If you need further assistance, let me know.

Aric, Technician