webpagesby22
webpagesby22, Installer
Experience:  I have been installing TVs for home theater setup about 10 years.
61542057

Has VIZIO solved the problem using SKYPE approved CAMS with

Customer Question

Has VIZIO solved the problem using SKYPE approved CAMS with their Smart TV? I called VIZIO and the tech I talked to said I would have to purchase a "SKYPE APPROVED" video CAM to use the SKYPE APP. I bought a Logitech SKYPE approved video CAM but it doesn't work...
Category: TV
Expert:  webpagesby22 replied 5 years ago.

What is the model number of your TV and the model of the logitech Skype camera? I would like to research this issue for you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Model of VIZIO TV: XVT473SV
Skype approved Vid CAM: Logitech 720P
I was told by a VIZIO Tech that I had purchase a "SKYPE" approved video CAM. But Vid CAM I bought doesn't work....

After researching this issue I am seeing that other people are having the same issue when they are using another brand camera besides the vizio one. Here is information on the camera. I am thinking that vizio wants you to buy their branded camera for the TV.

http://www.vizio.com/xcv100.html
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That was a given. What is the difference between the "Vizio" Vid CAM and the Logitech 720P? Can a simple interface me made up to make the TV tnhink it is the vizio WEB CAM?? Are they (Vizio) going to solve the problem, like they promised??? and if si, when????

Did you get an software update for your TV in late Decemeber?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, that was a software up-date that added youtube and SKYPE. So far all the apps except SKYPE function correctly.
Also I am not seeing any information on a expanding the list for capable cameras. The specs for the TV on the Vizio page doesn't even list the TV as being Skype capable. I see that other users having the same issue with the camera, but I havent seen any response from vizio as to if they are going to fix it to allow more cameras.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
IN a telephone call to VIZIO a Visio Tech told me I could buy a "SKYPE approved" Web CAM and it would work. I purchased a SKYPE approved Web CAM and it did not work. I called VISIO again and they said that only their Web Cam ($120-$170) would work, but they were working on a solution so that any Web CAM that was SKYPE approved, would work. So that means to me that a software/firmware download from Vizio will be able to make any Skype approved Web CAM function.... My interest here is, can I make a modification to my Web CAM to make the Vizio TV think my Web cam is a Vizio Web CAM.

My phone conversation with Vizio was over a month ago and to my original question, are they working on a soution, have they given up, or is the solutiion ready to download?

If they told you this information over a month ago then the update that was released in december was to add the skype feature. Plus Vizio probably was ready to deploy it at that time. The next update should resolve the camera issue. I see other users voicing their concerns on Vizio's facebook page. Im not seeing any workarounds right now to fool the TV into using any camera thats connected
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry but this info doesn't help. I'll researd further and see if I can find data that shows schematics of each Web Cam.... That might not be available but maybe.....
Ok Thats fine