TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

We have a Sharp Aquos TV purchased from Best Buy 4 years ago.

Customer Question
It's been great but tonight...
We have a Sharp Aquos TV purchased from Best Buy 4 years ago. It's been great but tonight I cannot get a picture on the screen. I'm getting an error message E202 but cannot find what that means in the manual. Can you tell me what this means?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: TV
1/20/2012
TV Technician: Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician replied 6 years ago
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Model LC-52D64U
Does it say Failure to recieve broadcast E202? Or just E202?

Tim
It says Failure to receive broadcast E202
How is the dish box hooked to the tv?

The choices are:
Component cables: 5 wires between the tv and the device, these are color coded on the end and have a green, a blue, a red, a white, and another red cable

Composite cables: 3 wires between the tv and the device, these are color coded on the end and have a yellow, a white, and a red.

HDMI: 1 wire between the tv and the device, this is a single wire and looks like a computer plug on each end, similar to a large USB connector.

Coax: This is 1 wire between the tv and the device as well. This is the normal cable wire with the end the screws

Tim
Composite Cables
When you press the SOURCE button on the SHARP remote, what source is the tv on?

Tim
The only message I get is E202.
OK if you press the menu button on the tv itself, does the menu show up on the screen?

Tim
NO, it is stuck on E202.
Try this first...

Turn the tv on.
While it is on unplug it from the wall
Let it sit 5 mins
Plug it back in.

Not saying this will for sure fix your problem, so don't want to get hopes too high. We have however seen this EEPROM reset clear some odd problems in your model, so its the first thing to try. Let me know if anything changes.

Tim
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
No luck. same E 202 message is still on the screen
And the tv wont respond to anything but power on and off?

Tim

That's it - no reponse. Before it went into E202 mode I was at least able to bring up the Menu but it would not change to any command.

Sounds like I'll have to get Best Buy to send their Geek Squad out tomorrow!

Sounds like the main board in the tv is going to need to be replaced. This normally runs around $500-600 to have done. I personally would recommend you use a shop other than geek squad, they are normally over priced and under qualified. I would recommend using www.tvrepairpros.com to find a shop in your area. I am sorry for the bad news.

Tim
The answers you provided did not solve the problem. I will be calling Sharp tomorrow morning to see what they suggest I do.