TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My Magnavox TV will not turn on. The green lamp flickers and

Customer Question
the screen has random vertical...
My Magnavox TV will not turn on. The green lamp flickers and the screen has random vertical lines and within a few seconds everything shuts off. I have replaced the power board, the horiz and vert scan board and logic board. Still will not turn on. The power up sequence is the same with new or old boards. If I pull the logic ribbon cable going to the screen I get a colorful screen but with random colors and lines.

Do I have a bad LCD screen, or it's drivers wherever they might be. The TV is inherited so I have no background history.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/12/2012
TV Technician: Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer replied 6 years ago
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Tell me more about the lines you see. Are they thin? Like a colored bar code?

Respectfully,
Yes they are. Remember they appear only when I pull the flat ribbon cable from the digital board to the LCD screen PCB that runs the length of the bottom of the screen.

Yes they are. Remember they appear only when I pull the flat ribbon cable from the digital board to the LCD screen PCB that runs the length of the bottom of the screen. The TV will turn on and stay on with this cable removed.

But you already replaced the digital board?
I replaced all three boards. There are only three boards on the TV back panel. With either the old or new digital board, removing the ribbon cable caused the tv to not immediately shut off and displayed the vertical thin color bars. I can only find two other PCB's, the operators vertical row of pushbuttons on a skinny PCB and the long on on the bottom of the LCD screen that has several components.
Can you take a picture of the back of the TV with rear cover removed so I can see the boards?

There are a couple ways to get a picture here for me to see...

1. You can upload the picture directly, by clicking on the paper clip icon which should be on the toolbar (just above the text box where you're typing). The picture has to be less than 5MB.
2. You can upload the picture to a sharing site like www.wikisend.com. Just be sure to give me the download link.
3. You can email the picture [email protected] and they will forward it to me. This option might take a few hours or even a day, so only do this if you have to.

I will send the picture tomorrow and down size it.
Take care not to make it too small. There is no size limit on wikisend.com or [email protected] email.

Here she is.graphicI hope it worked ok.
Didn't come through. Can you upload it to www.wikisend.com and give me a link?
I will give it a try.

DSC00429.JPG

544962

I will sign off for this evening, need to get up tomorrow before the cock crows.

I hope the photo comes thru and provides some insight to the problem.

Didn't come through. Ok let's just email the picture [email protected] from your registered email address, and they will forward it to me.

Are we back in service?
Yes, the site is back up. Were you able to get a picture?
I sent it to your just answer site.
I haven't received it. It may be best to resend it, since the servers were down pretty much all day yesterday.
Just sent the photo again. Third time.
Ok.
Ok, got the picture. Not sure what took so long... sorry about that.

I looked at your boards and also the service manual and history for this set, and yes you definitely have a bad LCD panel here.

The panel is replaceable, but I really doubt you'll find one cheap enough to make it cost effective. It would be wiser to replace the TV, in my opinion and experience.