TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Sharp AQUOS LC-52D64U LCD TV has no picture and the power and

Customer Question
OPC lights are flashing...
Sharp AQUOS LC-52D64U LCD TV has no picture and the power and OPC lights are flashing
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: TV
1/7/2012
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 5 years ago
Aric, Technician

How long have you had the set for, and when did the problem occur?

Was it after a storm or power outage?

Does the standby/timer light blink continuously, or in a pattern (such as 5 blinks, pause, 5 blinks, pause, etc.)?

I have had the set for maybe 3 years. The problem happened this past Thursday nothing unusual, just the picture went out, so I checked all the connections. I thought my wife hit a wrong button on the remote. The OPC light blinks twice to the power light blinking. I have seen a few different possible soultions on the Internet but I prefer to not easter egg and replace every board or lights.

So the OPC light blinks two times to power light blinking once- correct? They both repeat this cycle over and over again right?

Additionally, is the double click correlating to the blinking lights, or is it on it's own random sequence?

Correct on the blinking and yes they repeat unless I hit the power button

The double click occurs before the blinking......once the blinking starts the clicking stops.

Sounds like it is trying to turn on then goes to the blinking failure state.

When the front lights begin blinking the red light on the main board goes out. The red light blinks during the double clicking as well.

Thanks for the reply. This problem is either that the mainboard or the low voltage rail from the power supply that feeds it has shorted and failed. The clicking is the power on relay disengaging/engaging over and over again due to the short. The issue is isolated to either the power supply filter capacitors having failed (most common failure on these sets), or the mainboard failing. Voltages must be measured at the power supply output both under load and no load to determine which board has the failure. Unfortunately there is no reset you can perform to fix this problem and the set will require service. Average cost for this type of repair is $200 to repair the supply, or $325 to replace the mainboard (parts and labor). You can use the link below to locate a tech in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com/

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses and welcomed and appreciated!

If I measure the output voltages on the power supply under load and no-load, what should I get for values?

The first thing you'd want to check is the caps on the power board for bulges or leaking. Any of these needs to be replaced. Voltage to the Mainboard should be 3.3 volts DC.

Use a DMM set to DC volts, find a common ground on the power supply and probe all of the Outputs for voltage (correct voltages will be stamped on the power supply at the outputs). Do this with NOTHING connected to the Power supply but AC power. If a voltage is missing/ fluctuating, then the power board needs to be replaced.

If the power supply outputs its rated voltages, then connect the other boards one at a time until one causes it to shut down. This board would have the short causing the supply to SOS, and would need to be replaced.

A good source to locate replacement boards is http://www.shopjimmy.com/ and http://www.discountmerchant.com/

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!

Aric, Technician
Eureka!!! I changed the main board and it is working
Excellent! I'm very glad to hear it worked! Thank you for using JA!
Aric, Technician