TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

We have a 42" Hitachi 42HDS69 that will not turn on. When

Customer Question
We have a 42" Hitachi...
We have a 42" Hitachi 42HDS69 that will not turn on. When you hit the power button the standby turns off. When you try to turn it on again you hear a double click sound and it will not turn on either manually or using remote. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated........its football soon!! Thanks
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: TV
12/31/2011
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 6 years ago
Aric, Technician

How lkong have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?

Has any work ever been done on the set?

Do any lights on the set start to blink when the set shuts down?

We have had the TV for exactly 5 years at Christmas. We would have a problem with this happening once in a great while over the past 6 months but when we would unplug it and plug it back in it would work fine. We have never had to have service on the set. No lights. There is a little red light at the bottom right corner of the TV that indicates its in standby. When you push the power button on the remote to turn it on the standby light goes off. Then approximately 10 seconds later the standby light will come back on. The TV will not turn on using the power button on the side of the TV either.
Are there any clicking sounds, buzz or hum coming from the set when you power it on and it shuts itself down?
After its turned off, when you push the MAIN power button to turn it back on, it makes a click and then a second later it makes a second softer click sound and it goes to standby. While in standby, when you push the power button on the remote or the power button on the side of the TV to turn it on, there is no sound and the TV will then turn off of standby and then come back on to standby by itself in about 10 seconds. It just sits in standby and we can't get it to turn on.

Please disconnect the set from AC power for 2 minutes, then upon plugging back in, press and hold the power button for 8 seconds to try and force a reset.

If the TV still does not power up, then the click sound would indicate that there is a short inside the set stopping it from fully powering up.

It is most probable that there is a failure on the power supply board inside the TV. Commonly the capacitors on this board will receive a surge and then fail. They can sometimes be visually verified by removing the rear of the set and inspecting them for bulges or leaking fluid at the top or the base of the caps. This is the most common mode of failure for these sets.

The capacitors are located on the power board inside the set, where the AC cord plugs into and can be replaced by a Tech for no more than $200 parts and labor.

Unfortunately there is no sequence of buttons or reset you can perform to get the set working again. Do you have any experience testing live voltages, or soldering on electronic equipment?

If not, then I would suggest using the link below to locate a technician in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com/

If you need further assistance, let me know.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!

Aric, Technician
Do we hold the "main" power button or the "on" button for 8 seconds?
Sorry about that, I meant the ON button.
Aric, Technician