TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My Sharp Aquos 52" lcd led tv has vertical lines going down

Customer Question
the screen. It's 16 months...
My Sharp Aquos 52" lcd led tv has vertical lines going down the screen. It's 16 months old. It shows up with all inputs and in the menu screens. The lines a are about 1 pixel in width, color magenta, going down the screen every 1/4 of inch across the whole screen. They come on as soon as the tv is turned on and do not go away at all. I've tried unplugging everything and powering the tv on with nothing plugged in to it. I also tried the firmware update. Please advise
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: TV
10/26/2011
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 6 years ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

Did you purchase any type of extended warranty?

Are you using a surge protector, if so, can you please try plugging directly into the wall outlet?

Also, when did this problem occur, and was it gradual?

No extended warranty.

It happened all at one, nothing notable that should have caused it. No other electronic equipment was affected, PC, DVD, Amplifier, game console.

No, I am not using a surge protector.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I do not have good news for you. There is no sequence of buttons you can press the reset the TV, and it will require circuit testing and component replacement to operate properly again.

There are basically three problems that would cause this, the Power Supply, the T-Con boards, or the LCD panel itself has failed. Voltages need to be measured at the power supply outputs, using a DMM with nothing connected to it but AC Input. If the readings are proper, then the other boards need to be connected one at a time, until one causes the voltage to shut down at the output. If the supply outputs power with all of the boards connected, then the T-Con needs to be tested. The T-Con will run you around $350 to have replaced. If the T-Con tests good, then the LCD Panel has failed and will cost you more than a new TV (around $1100) to have replaced and it is not cost effective to repair this set.

If you do not have experience testing live voltages on a circuit board level, then I would suggest using the link below to locate a tech in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com/

If you need further assistance, let me know.

I know it is one of those three components, I was hoping to get a most likely source of the problem based on the symptoms. Here is a picture of what it is doing if that helps.

graphic

The first thing you'd want to check is the caps on the power board for bulges or leaking. Any of these needs to be replaced.

Please only proceed if you have experience measuring live voltages on a circuit board level.

Next, use a DMM set to DC volts, find a common ground on the power supply and probe all of the Outputs for voltage (correct voltages will be stamped on the power supply at the outputs). Do this with NOTHING connected to the Power supply but AC power. If a voltage is missing/ fluctuating, then the power board needs to be replaced.

If the power supply outputs its rated voltages, then connect the other boards one at a time until one causes it to shut down. This board would have the short causing the supply to SOS, and would need to be replaced.

A good source to locate replacement boards is http://www.shopjimmy.com/ and http://www.discountmerchant.com/

Aric, Technician
Aric, Technician