TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My 50 Inch Plasma TV has small white spots on the screen-more

Customer Question
daily.Started about 4 weeks ago-its...
My 50 Inch Plasma TV has small white spots on the screen-more daily.Started about 4 weeks ago-its 4 years old.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/13/2011
TV Technician: PramitP, Technician replied 6 years ago
PramitP
PramitP, Technician

Sorry to hear about the problem.

What is the model no. of the set?

Regards,
Pramit
Sorry don't have the model number here-When I get home I might be able to get it-however I'm installing a new computer at home and I can't get the new mouse to activate so I'm dealing with that at home and unless I get that going I'll have to wait until I get back to the office to provide the answer. Thurs at 5-6pm.
Alright, take your time. Also, check if the dots appear while using all the inputs(HDMI, composite, component etc.)
Do you mean Netflex ? That's all the inputs I can think of. Or dvds, too.
I mean the ports at the back of your set. See an example below.
graphic
Y Pb Pr are component inputs. Yellow is for composite. The one that looks similar to USB port of a computer is HDMI. Pair of white and red are for audio.
You can connect whatever(DVD player/Blu-Ray player/PS3/X-Box/Wii etc) you want and check.
In case you don't remember the model no., can you confirm if it is a Plasma TV or a DLP TV? Does it have a protruding back like old TVs?
It's a DLP Ultra Slim No big back
Seems like the TV has a bad DMD. It is known as Digital Micromirror Device and it is inside the light engine. In 90% cases with similar symptoms, the DMD is bad. I have seen this problem on Mitsubishi and many other brands of DLP TVs, as well. Most of the time the entire light engine is either replaced or worked on.

Each spot (pixel) that you view in the picture is made by a single mirror moving back and forth on the DMD. In total, there are over a million of these tiny mirrors, and the white spots you see are those mirrors that have stuck in the "On" position. These mirrors get jammed and hence this problem.

You can contact Samsung Support for the same. You have to call 1.800.726.7864 and request a service. Since it is only 4 years old, they might consider it as a premature failure of light engine and give you a discount, but you will have to persuade for that. Usually it costs around $800 to fix the problem. Hope it helps. If you have any other queries then I would be glad to assist you further.

I'm sorry to give you such a bad news but it would have been unprofessional of me and unfair to you if I wouldn't have given an honest answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT button ONLY if you are SATISFIED with my help, so that I'll be credited for assisting you. Before leaving a negative feedback, give me one more chance to help you further.
Positive Feedback and Bonuses are greatly appreciated!!

PramitP
PramitP, Technician
PramitP
PramitP
PramitP, Technician