TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Why cant i make my optical cable work on my surround system,

Customer Question
Why can't i make my...
Why can't i make my optical cable work on my surround system, i even tried rca jacks and nothing. My model on the vizio is a L42hdtv10a, my surround sound systems is a Sony model DZ175. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: TV
10/2/2011
TV Technician: TV Tech1, Technician replied 6 years ago
TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician

The Optical output can only provide audio from the Digital tuner.

The RCA Audio out on your TV only provides Audio for the RCA connectors connected -- the Video outputs and the component outputs. You have to turn OFF the speakers to make them turn on.

The HDMI inputs -- there is no information about whether the RCA Audio outputs will deliver audio from those. You'll have to try that, but the HDMI audio is digital. To get those working, the TV would require a digital to analog converter, and Visio does not mention that.

Look at this, I've highlighted information on both Audio outputs.

graphic

If you have any questions, just ask

If you are finished, please press the ACCEPT button.

Tips are greatly appreciated !

Thank you.

TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX optical cable will not work at all for audio, and is there any to make it more louder on the the surround sound systems, it is very low?

The ONLY way your optical output comes alive on the TV is if you are watching a Digital TV channel with an outdoor aerial.

If you have a cable or satellite box, you must connect their optical out directly to your stereo. That's how you deliver it. The TV's other connection -- the RCA audio out...that works on all the inputs with RCA connectors for sure. The TV's HDMI -- usually you route the cable from the cable box to the Amp first, then route the HDMI output on the Amp to the TV next. Otherwise you connect the Cable box's optical out to the amp's Optical In.

Getting late here -- if you have any questions, I'll answer them in the morning

Once again Thank You so VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're welcome, and thank you too for using Just Answers.

TV Tech1
TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician