Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

I have a Panasonic TH50PX80U plasma tv,the tv just shut down

I have a Panasonic TH50PX80U plasma tv,the tv just shut down and it will not power back up,I disconnected all the every thing from it and left it unpluged over night and it still will not power back up,there is no click when I push the on button and no red indicator light too.Ca n you tell me what has happened and which part needs to be replaced(part cost)?Thanks
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-Was there any storms or power issues when it went out?
-How old is the unit?
-When you plug it in, if you listen close, do you hear a slight click?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There was no storms,when the tv went out every thing in the living room went out,the braker in the box went off too,I have all the components plugged into a serge bar,every thing powered back up after switching the braker switch back on except the tv
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
Have you tried plugging the tv directly into an outlet rather than the serge bar to test?

Tim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I have plugged it directly into the wall socket,the tv is almost 2 yrs old,and there is no click sound when i push the power on button,and there is no red indicator light.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this television other than unplugging it. It will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First could be a bad AC fuse. This could have gone bad when the breaker in the surge bar popped. This normally runs around $100 to have a technician repair it.

Next you could have a failure in the power supply, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $175-$200 to fix the set. IF the power supply had to be replaced you could be looking at $250-300

Last could be the main board, this would not be good news because you could be looking at $300-$400 for the repair.

Any of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
still waiting on my answer on my power on problem with my panasonic TH50PX80U
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So you are saying that the problem could be caused by 4 different failures,Would the ac fuse fail first protecting the tv further damage to other components?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
Yes it could be caused be 1 of those 4 different things, not all 4 things. If the AC fuse blew then yes it would protect the rest of the set.

Tim