TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Visio Sound bar wont work with my Sharp Aquis 60 TV using

Customer Question
Visio Sound bar won't work...
Visio Sound bar won't work with my Sharp Aquis 60" TV using optical cable. Must i activate the optical port on the TV in some way?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: TV
9/20/2011
TV Technician: Will, President & Small Business Owner replied 6 years ago
Will
Will, President & Small Business Owner

Will :

Is optical your only connection choice?

JACUSTOMER-q87khxrn- :

No, i have three analog RCA jacks on the back of the TV (video 1, video 2 and component. I have tried all three but no sound through the sound bar.

Will :

how about on the sound bar itself, I picked a VSB 200 not knowing the sound bar model, can you try using just regular RCA cables into the sound bar and see if that gives you some audio? From what you say, no white noise, it is just not finding the input, for whatever reason, which could be many we will try and go over,

Will :

TVOL– Pressing this button will set the sound system to have control over
the level of the audio output, preventing commercials on regular
programming to become louder than the volume of the program being
viewed. Pressing this button will toggle SRS TruVolume ON and OFF.
7. TSHD – Pressing this button will toggle SRS TruSurround HD ON and
OFF.

Will :

Then these SRS settings are sometimes a problem for some reason, there is a rash of sound bar connectivity problems, why I have not discovered if they are setting some new convention and not publishing it, but a sound bar is just a set of speakers as you know, to answer your first question, yes optical may need to be assigned over HDMI as most TVS ARE DEFAULTED HDMI

JACUSTOMER-q87khxrn- :

I have the VSB 200. When I plug in the RCA cables I do get white noise through the sound bar especially if i touch the cable contact with my finger or on the edge of the RCA port. I'm wondering if the TV ports are plug and play or must be activated in some way.

Will :

So you get white noise on the RCA and nothing on the optical, I need to read more on the VSB 200 weird I picked the same model but anyway let me look it over,

JACUSTOMER-q87khxrn- :

I await your reply

Will :

Turn off the power to the HD Sound Bar and TV.
2. Connect one end of the Optical (SPDIF) cable to the digital audio output on the TV.
3. Connect the other end of the Optical (SPDIF) cable to the Digital audio input on the HD Sound Bar.
4. Turn on the power to the HD Sound Bar and TV.
5. Select the Optical input by pressing the Input Button on the top of the HD Sound Bar or Remote
Control.
Note: When using the Optical Input on the HD Sound Bar, be sure to set the source device output mode
to PCM. Refer to the TV user manual for more information about the audio output settings of the product

Will :

output set to PCM?

Will :

2. Connect one end of the audio cable (white and red connectors) to the analog audio output on the TV.
3. Connect the other end of the audio cable (white and red connectors) to one of the analog audio inputs
on the HD Sound Bar.
5. Select the associated input by pressing the Input Button on the top of the HD Sound Bar or Remote
Control.

Will :

I just sent that for the hell of it, cause it was right there I understand you know more than the manual

Will :

They try and make these things idiot proof then when someone understands the normal connections the idiot proofing gets in the way, can you set it up to use HDMI audio only?

Will :

When using the Optical Input on the HD Sound Bar, be sure to set the source device output mode
to PCM. Refer to the TV user manual for more information about the audio output settings of the product.

Will :

Typical one points the finger at the other,

Will :

Select the desired input by pressing the Input button on the Sound Bar or the
Remote. The default input is Analog 2 when the Sound Bar is first plugged in.
Refer to Page 8 for additional information.

Will :

default is ANALOG 2 ! Would never have guessed that

Will :

but even on analog 2 and you went to analog one no white noise would be expected

Will :

Chapter 6 Error Detection / Corrective Action
If an unsupported rate or sample depth is detected (via the Optical Input), or an overcurrent or thermal
shutdown occurs, the LED’s flash certain error codes. An important example that if an AC3 (not PCM)
input stream(from a DVD player in this instance) is sent to the Optical input, the HD Sound Bar will mute
the audio output and flash the error pattern associated with this on the LED’s.
For the error codes, the information is relative to the position in the volume bar section of the display.
(LED positions as viewed from the front):
A B C D E F G
The following is a description of the LED error codes:
A = SPDIF compressed format detected.
B = SPDIF rate unsupported.
C = Overcurrent error occurred.
D = Thermal shutdown occurred.
The other indicators are not currently used for error indication. When an error occurs, the volume strip
goes on solid except that the active error condition is flashing.
Corrective Action
- If Error A, SPDIF compressed format detected error occurs, configure the DVD player (or audio source
device) audio output format setting to PCM or PCM stream. Otherwise, use the Analog RCA inputs from
the audio source to the Sound Bar without configuration of the audio source device.

Will :

If Error B, an unsupported sample rate is detected on the Optical (SPDIF) input, configure the ‘audio
sample rate of the audio source device to be either 44.1 KHz or preferably 48KHz.
- If Error C, Over-current detection is indicated, reduce the volume setting of the Sound Bar and
Subwoofer temporarily, and turn the unit off for a short period and back on to reset the circuitry. If this
indication continues to occur, then reduce the volume level for the particular source content being played.
- If Error D, Thermal shutdown, is indicated, turn off the Sound Bar and verify the ventilation slots in the
Sound Bar are clear, the Sound Bar has proper ventilation and is not being operated in an environment
that is too hot. If these conditions exist, reduce the volume level for the particular source content being played

Will :

An error condition that is not detected or indicated by the LED error indications is distortion of audio.
The Sound Bar is designed for standard line-in level input signals which are a MAXIMUM 2 Volt RMS.
The Sound Bar is not intended to be connected to the output of an amplified audio source such as a
Home Theater speaker output or MP3 Player headphone jack. Doing so may damage the Sound Bar.

Will :

I have not had time to look but the Sharp is not amplified is it [on the audio output] normally not but this is just one example of the setup instructions being so terrible, this last paragraph I just posted should have been the FIRST paragraph

Will :

Buzzing or humming Make sure that both ends of the audio cables are connected securely.
Test on an alternate device or replace the audio cable.
Test the device and cable on an alternate input on the HD Sound Bar.

Will :

I know sorry but it was there

Will :

No sound on Optical In

Will :

The source device may be set to AC3 (Dolby Digital) output. SRS TS-HD
requires PCM audio (Lt/Rt encoded for movies). Change the device output to PCM and to the correct freq

Will :

this will be under sound setup on the Sharp

JACUSTOMER-q87khxrn- :

The TV under Audio settings menu offers the following

Will :

I don't see on thing you did wrong other than maybe the PCM setting on the Sharp was not set to PCM or an SRS setting is messing things up

Will :

but please go ahead

Will :

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Sharp/LC-60LE831U/Manual/193194

Will :

Sharp manual in case you don't have one or missing

Will :

go ahead with the settings I am trying to read along with you

JACUSTOMER-q87khxrn- :

Auto volume

Will :

yes a possible problem known as SRS

JACUSTOMER-q87khxrn- :

Sorry i hit return before i finished. I don't believe the setting we want is under Sound or Audio, i believe it is under system options where it offers "Input Terminal Setting", Click here and it offers "set the input/output terminal, two buttons appear the default: HDMI Digital or HDMI + analog. When i select HDMI+Analog I get no sound TV or sound bar.

Will :

I saw that so you are using HDMI for video, let me find the fix

Will :

pg 31 on the manual link I sent

Will :

0utput select

Will :

you are going out from tv to sound bar, sound bar is same as any AMPLIFIED audio system, as the Sharp is internally amplified,

Will :

• Depending on the connected equipment, audio will not output from the DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUT terminal in HDMI
connection. In this case, set the audio formats of the connected equipment to PCM, 32/44.1/48 kHz.
• Optical digital audio will be output in 2-ch stereo when it is from the external equipment connected to the TV using an HDMI cable.

Will :

• If the image is not in sync with the audio, check the settings of the connected surround system.
• Letting the TV output the audio to an AV amplifi er:
- When you connect ARC-compatible equipment, use the HDMI 1 terminal.
- If the equipment to be connected is not compatible with the ARC, connect an optical fi ber cable.

Will :

http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/LCDTVs/LC60LE831U.aspx

Will :

pg 56 it wont let me cut the photos from the pdf

Will :

■ When using DVI-HDMI conversion cable (HDMI 1):
• Blu-ray disc player • DVD player
• HD cable/satellite set-top box
AUDIO DVI OUT
Ø 3.5 mm stereo minijack cable
DVI-HDMI conversion cable
Back panel
horizontal inputs
Back panel
vertical inputs
• When using a DVI-HDMI conversion cable, you should make an analog audio connection. In this case, in addition to
connecting a DVI-HDMI conversion cable to the HDMI 1 terminal, connect a Ø 3.5 mm stereo minijack cable to the AUDIO IN
terminal and set "Audio Select" to "HDMI+Analog". (See page 56.)

Will :

finally part of it

Will :

Connecting an Audio Amplifi er
■ When using optical fi ber cable:
It is possible to output audio through the DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUT terminal. (See page 31 for details.) PCM audio
outputs from the terminal.
DIGITAL AUDIO INPUT
OPTICAL
Optical fiber cable
Back panel
horizontal inputs

Will :

If the TV audio cannot be output from the AV amplifi er even
after making the necessary settings, connect the TV to the
AV amplifi er with an optical fi ber cable and select “Off”.
One Touch Playback
AQUOS LINK allows you to operate the HDMIconnected
equipment with one remote control.
Press d to start playing back a title.
The last played program is played back. You can use the
following buttons during broadcast viewing.
Buttons Description
POWER
(SOURCE)
Turns the power of the HDMI connected devices
on and off.
G Hold down to go in reverse.
I Starts playback.
J Hold down to fast forward.
H Playback stops.
F Sets pauses and still pictures.
T
Pressing quickly once takes you to the start of the
chapter currently playing. Each time you press it,
you move back to the start of the previous chapter.
U
next chapter. Each time you press it, you move
ahead to the start of the next chapter.
The buttons T/U do not function with the following
Blu-ray disc players currently available.
- BD-HP20U, BD-HP50U

Will :

I will shut up for now

Will :

take your time

JACUSTOMER-q87khxrn- :

Yes, i have the manual and have read page 31. I have even tried a direct connection from my Direct TV converter to the sound bar and still no sound.

Will :

I know you have and see nothing wrong with your setup either way, time to ask a buddy if he would let you temp in the bar with just the rca cables and see what happens, it would not be close to the first new device doa from the box,

Will
Will
Will, President & Small Business Owner