Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

Insignia TV will not turn on.

Customer Question

Insignia TV will not turn on.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-When you turn it on, what does it do? (light blink, click noise, etc.)
-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

When you attempt to turn it on it stays blank. Deader than a door nail!

The satalite receiver hooked up to the same outlet is working, so it is not the electricity source.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The unit is two and half years old. Only used 6 months out of the year, So far not more tha 1 years use.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.
Any storms or power problems before it went out?

Tim
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No storms or power problems. Other electronics in house all working fine, including a TV in a different room

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you have any ideas at all????????
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.
There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this television other than unplugging it. It will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First you could have a failure in the power supply, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $175-$200 to fix the set. IF the power supply had to be replaced you could be looking at $250-300

Next could be the main board, this would not be good news because you could be looking at $300-$400 for the repair (I know this is up there in the price range and most likely getting over the cost of a new set)

Any of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'm curious, is there no "fuse" or "breaker-type unit" insidemthe TV that would black out the TV?.

The info you sent isn't mch use to an inexperienced person, I guess that is why we try to talk to people like you.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.
There is a fuse in the set but it is unheard of for one of these to go out if there are no storms or power issues.

Tim
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Maybe we should look at the fuse to verify that it is in good shape. where is it located?

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.
Its on the power board where the power cord plugs in.

Tim