TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I have an ancient "big back" Toshiba TV, model 32AF44 and…

Customer Question
I have an ancient "big...
I have an ancient "big back" Toshiba TV, model 32AF44 and can't change the channel to 3 because I don't have a remote and the channel selector on the TV doesn't work. How can I change the channel? Thx!
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: TV
9/10/2011
TV Technician: Ed, Technician replied 6 years ago
Ed
Ed, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer. Please reply back if a solution doesn't help immediately.

Most remotes for everything are usually programable for something else such as a TV. Otherwise you can buy a universal remote and program it for the toshiba.

here is one for around $2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Mini-Keychain-Universal-Remote-Control-TV-Set-/290602765285?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a9464be5

Ed, I have tried a remote and it didn't work. Please provide a resolution beyond what I have already attempted...thx!

Is it a universal remote? Did you program it and try a couple different Toshiba codes? There is no magic way to change your channel. Only 2 ways. The built in changer and a remote. Maybe if neither works the tuner is actually broken.

a universal remote which incidentally worked on another cable TV platform (digital box) but would not work with a digital converter box

So I guess you are trying to get this TV to work with a digital converter box. Does it default to channel 2. If so is there any difference while watching channel 2 if the digital converter is turned on or off.

Ed, the problem is I can't get the TV to channel 3 using the remote or TV channel selector. I was hoping to get an alternative answer to my question on how to change the channel since the remote and selector aren't the resolution.

please do the last test

the last test, are you referring to channel 2? The converter box is defaulted to channel 3 and I am unable to select any channel...2, 3, or anything

Just leave the TV on channel 2 and the converter on what its default is, and turn the converter on and off and see if there is any change in the picture on the TV. Glitch, static, etc. On mine with a digital converter and the TV on channel 2, the picture and sound come in but it doesn't sync and goes blue after a few seconds.

When you programmed the remote to work with the Toshiba, was it able to turn the power to the TV on and off?

The TV will NOT change channels using the remote or TV channel selector and the cable service default is channel 3; therefore, there is no need to use channel 2. The universal remote had no effect on the TV, only operated the cable box.

What channel is the TV stuck on?

74 and 103

not sure how it can be on 2 channels but in any case the only solution is to try another universal remote. When programmed correctly it has to be able to at least turn the power on and off to show it is setup correctly.

that is the extent of the remote's control over the TV, it turns the TV on and off, but it doesn't change the channels
I thought you didn't have a remote as originally stated. Sounds like TV is defective then.
have you tried unplugging the power and seeing if that defaults the channel to 2
I replied my remote isn't functioning with the TV and the TV channel selector won't change the channel to 3.

I''ve unplugged the equipment and it doesn't default to anything
I will opt out. maybe another expert has a better idea.
TV Technician: Joe, Technician replied 6 years ago
Joe
Joe, Technician

Thank you for using justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you with your concern today.

Can you get into the tv menu?

Thanks,

Joe

Joe
Joe
Joe, Technician