Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

Have a Sony SXRD 60 and the red light is blinking 4 times.

Have a Sony SXRD 60" and the red light is blinking 4 times. Large fan (exhaust?) was not spinning, ordered a replacement. Installed, not sure which direction to install. After installing, fan kicks on and spins for a few seconds and then shuts itself off. Red light is still blinking on front. Small fan spins and then powers down when the large one stops. Please advise. Thank you for any help that you can provide...
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.

Electronics Pete :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I am Pete, a TV expert, and I'm happy to assist with your question today.

Electronics Pete :

The 4 blink error code on your Sony SXRD 60" TV indicates a fan error.

Electronics Pete :

You may also have to replace the smaller fan, as these fans tend to fail over time and need replacing.

Electronics Pete :

To work out the correct direction for the fan, observe the air flow directional arrows on it.

Electronics Pete :

If you have a voltmeter, can you also take readings of the voltage supplied to the fans to ensure they are getting the correct voltage as stated on them?

Electronics Pete :

The fans require 12 volts to run. If you get a lower reading than this, then there is a power supply fault.

Customer:

The Large fan was not spinning but the Small one was. That is when I purchased the replacement fan. After installing, When I power the TV on, both spin for a few seconds, and then both shut themselves down. Don't have access to voltmeter. The back of the TV is not back on, would this effect anything. Do I have to unplug TV and let it reset or anything like that or should the picture come on when new fan is operational?

Electronics Pete :

Yes, if the back of the TV is not on, this will prevent the TV from powering on.

Electronics Pete :

There is no need to let it reset after installing a new fan - the picture should come on once the back has been fitted.

Customer:

Let me screw the back on and I will advise. Thanks Pete. Do I also need to unplug TV?

Customer:

Just read reply, let me go put it back on now.

Customer:

Put back on, and I now have picture. Thanks Pete.

Electronics Pete :

Great!

Electronics Pete :

Glad I could be of assistance.

Electronics Pete :

Thanks for using JustAnswer!

Electronics Pete :

Please remember to click Accept if you are happy with my answer :)

Customer:

Done. Thanks again