TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My sanyo dp50740 plasma tv keeps turning off randomly. Sometimes

Customer Question
it will be on for...
My sanyo dp50740 plasma tv keeps turning off randomly. Sometimes it will be on for hours and then other times it will only be on for 10 minutes. It just goes to a blank screen but the green power light stays on. I have been seeing that it is the power board.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: TV
8/25/2011
TV Technician: Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer replied 6 years ago
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

The first thing we need to do is remove the TV's rear panel. Be sure the TV is unplugged first. Now trace that power cord to a circuit card inside the TV... that's the power supply. Have a good close look at the board, paying particularly close attention to the capacitors. Are any of them puffy on top? Not totally flat like the others?

Respectfully,
I checked that while I was waiting for your response and I also did a ohm check on the capacitors, all were fine. Do you think it might be an ic chip that went bad? All the caps are flat and no bulges at all. Do you think it is the power board or could it be another board that is having the issue?

Have you checked the DC voltages leaving the power supply? If not, let's try that now.

Put your red lead on each pin leaving the power supply one at a time, with your black lead on any exposed chassis metal for ground. Stick that red lead down into the connector so the lead makes contact with the pin.

Be sure the TV is turned on. If it's shutting down too quickly, put your leads in place first and turn it on and see what the voltage jumps to before it shuts off (the voltage will drain post-shutoff).

Let me know what you're measuring.

I figured out the issue and fixed it. In the end I just had to replace the power board and now it is working properly.
Ok, take care.
Louie, Technician