TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

I just moved into my dorm and was hooking up my TV. I turned…

I just moved into my...
I just moved into my dorm and was hooking up my TV. I turned it on and it keeps switching channels. It will cycle through a few different channels and then stop on a black screen. Sometines it will ask for some four digit code and then switch too fast for me to put it in. I know there is more than one channel because I used the fine tuning option hoping that that would fix the problem.The TV will only stay on the the same channel when the menu is open. The second I press the menu button and the menu goes away it starts switching channels. The TV is a Trutech Thin LCD. Model No. PLV16190. Anyone know how I can fix my TV?
8/20/2011
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What buttons on the tv itself work correctly?
-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
The on/off button, the menu, the function, and the volume button all seem to work to fine. Though sometimes I do have to press the menu button more than once to get to menu to pop up. The only button that don't seem to work are the up/down buttons. Also the unit is about 3/4 years old.
There are two main possibilities that can cause this, the first is the control board and the second is the main board. It will take some troubleshooting to determine which one. Do you know how to use a meter? If so I will be happy to help you troubleshoot and repair this. If not then you will need a tech, you are looking at $200-300 to repair this depending on what one is bad. (I know that might be more than the tv is worth)

Tim
No I do not know how to use a meter.
Ok then you would need a tech at this point to determine which one of the two is your issue.

Tim
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Ok. Thanks.